HEALTH & NUTRITION PROGRAMS INTERN with Washington Nationals in WASHINGTON, DC
The Washington Nationals Youth Baseball Academy (“Academy”) is a year-round educational and athletic facility with a mission of using baseball and softball as vehicles to foster positive character development, academic achievement, and improved health among at-risk Washington, D.C., youth. The Academy’s operations are overseen by a full-time staff, and supported by senior leadership of the Washington Nationals Dream Foundation (“Foundation”), the Nationals’ philanthropic umbrella organization. The Academy is looking for a Health and Nutrition Programs Intern to grow, strengthen, and improve the Academy’s “Field of Greens” Market.
The Academy is seeking a highly motivated individual to support the organizational mission of contributing to a healthier community. The ideal person for this role has a passion for addressing issues of food insecurity, creating access to healthy food and engaging the community. The Health and Nutrition Programs Intern will assist the Manager, Health and Nutrition Programs through a 12-hour a week internship available June through August 2019. The Intern will be required to support work during the course of the day and be available to staff the Field of Greens market on Wednesday evenings from 4:00 to 8:00pm.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the YBA Manager of Health and Nutrition Programs with all market-related tasks and activities;
- Utilize technological platforms to track market attendance, headcount and sales; analyze and input market usage data for the Field of Greens market;
- Engage organizational partners and constituents in numerous ways and through multiple formats, including email, print and social media;
- Design and distribute market materials; Complete additional administrative tasks as needed;
- Provide vendor support and assistance for market logistics;
- Construct relevant weekly social media posts in collaboration with the Philanthropies Communications Lead;
- Assist with set-up and break-down of the market
- A high school diploma, required; BA in nutrition, dietetics, or public health OR enrollment in a related course of post-secondary study, preferred;
- Strong attention to detail; willing to learn new information through hands-on experience
- Organized manager of professional time and effort and ability to document work
- A computer, internet access, and a cell phone for internal staff communication
- Reliable transportation
- The ability to lift 30 pounds (may require other light [physical activity)
- The ability to stand/walk around at the market for 5 hours with minimal opportunities to sit down
- The ability to work outside in all weather conditions, year round
- Demonstrated problem solving ability, creativity, and resourcefulness.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
- Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Position may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.