Executive Director, Retail - Washington Nationals (WASHINGTON · DC)
The Washington Nationals are actively searching for an individual who has a passion for serving others and is committed to excellence. Our mission is to create exceptional and memorable experiences for our guests. Reporting to the Vice President, Experience & Hospitality; the Executive Director of Retail is responsible leading the Washington Nationals Retail & Authentics Departments to achieve a level of operational excellence that will accelerate and support business growth. This role is responsible for both daily and game retail operations as well as strategic leadership for retail P&L management, including pricing, promotion, purchasing analytics, and inventory management analytics. The Executive Director will also oversee the relationship with the retail licensees, including buying, creation of exclusive products, line/assortment design and overall vendor management. The Executive Director will play a vital role in maintaining a vibrant culture based on employee and guest satisfaction, trust, respect, continuous learning, safety, and fun. This individual is a skilled operator who is also comfortable with ambiguity and is experienced in leading large teams to deliver exceptional results. The Executive Director demonstrates a strong work ethic, excellent ownership, the ability to meet deadlines, a willingness to learn new things, and a commitment to the guest and employee experience.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for daily operations, workload management, labor management and technology for our retail locations. This will have a focus on establishing framework and guidelines to streamline and enable efficient operations.
- Play a critical role in establishing strategic business objectives including virtual/digital merchandising through the Nationals’ mobile app and implement plans in support of the company's strategic and financial goals; develop and drive a consistent execution
- Evolve and improve the store processes, technology, and organizational capabilities for the customer and employee experience.
- Prepare and manage fiscal budgets and manage business intelligence dashboards in collaboration with Nationals’ business strategy & analytics department.
- Partner with Marketing, IT, Human Resources, and security to drive best practices for the retail operation.
- Partner with IT and business strategy & analytics on the strategic approach to assess and determine existing and emerging technologies that can enhance and positively impact the growth of retail.
- Establish individual goals and objectives for direct reports in support of the Retail department and overall strategic goals and objectives of the Nationals.
- Develop and empower direct reports to make decisions and take action.
- Develop buying strategy and oversee buying, planning, and allocation to each of the Nationals’ in-stadium retail locations
- Oversee the internal retail and authentics request process, ensuring our internal departments are able to request and receive merchandise and memorabilia in a timely manner.
- Oversee the planning of game-used memorabilia and autograph program throughout the 81 game season including monitoring signings with Nationals’ players, authentics memorabilia inventory, from procurement through fulfillment.
- Create a comprehensive authentics marketing strategy as well as fulfilling all point-of-sale orders throughout the season (online, auctions, requests, pre-orders, game day kiosk, etc.).
- Assess product needs/supplies and manage order placement/fulfillment
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in business or merchandise-related field; MBA strongly preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of merchandise and memorabilia management experience, preferably in sports or hospitality
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Must be available to work all 81 home games and other events which will include nights and weekends
- Experienced retail leader with a demonstrated record of producing growth through operational excellence
- Demonstrated ability to work with leaders of varied disciplines and to integrate their department into the overall success of the organization.
- Experienced working with senior level leadership.
- Operational mindset featuring diverse and high-quality retail operations.
- Knowledge of a broad range of global retail markets and business trends.
- Experienced in high-volume complex environments.
- High degree of professionalism, protecting the privacy and confidential nature of working with professional athletes.
- Ability to communicate across all levels: senior executives, full time staff, part time (game-day) staff, and professional athletes.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiar with Tableau, Lookr, SQL environments, and analytics
- Understands the shifting priorities and workload management of retail stores.
- Customer centric mindset, both internal and external
- Able to overcome adversity and deal with ambiguity.
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Knowledge and understanding of baseball
- Interest in sports marketing, entertainment, and baseball as a career preferred
- Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
All applicants for employment at the Washington Nationals are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencing employment. Applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment. Applicants with qualifying disabilities or bona fide religious objections, or who are pregnant, may be exempted from this requirement or otherwise accommodated if they are unable to be vaccinated.