Executive Director, Retail with Washington Nationals in WASHINGTON · DC
Reporting to the Vice President, Ballpark Experience, the Executive Director of Retail is responsible leading the Washington Nationals Retail & Authentics Department to achieve a level of operational excellence that will accelerate and support business growth. This role will be responsible for both daily and game retail operations as well as strategic leadership for retail P&L management, including pricing, promotion, purchasing analytics, and inventory management analytics. The Executive Director will also oversee the relationship with the retail licensees, including buying, creation of exclusive products, line/assortment design and overall vendor management.
The Nationals are a military-friendly organization actively recruiting veterans and spouses.
- Develop and implement a realistic strategic plan for daily operations, workload management, labor management and technology for our retail locations. This will have a focus on establishing framework and guidelines to streamline and enable efficient operations.
- Play a critical role in establishing strategic business objectives and implement plans in support of the company's strategic and financial goals and will develop and drive a consistent execution
- Evolve and improve the store processes, technology, and organizational capabilities for the customer and employee experience.
- Prepare and manage fiscal budgets, complete daily, monthly and annual sales reports communications that support operational excellence.
- Provide and communicate reporting with the internal team to provide metrics to grow the company's sales targets and operational practices by utilizing data.
- Partner with Marketing, IT, Human Resources, and security to drive best practices for the retail operation.
- Partner with IT on the strategic approach to assess and determine existing and emerging technologies that can enhance and positively impact the growth of retail.
- Establish individual goals and objectives for direct reports in support of the Retail department and over all strategic goals and objectives of the Nationals.
- Develop and empower direct reports to make decisions and take action.
- Develop buying strategy and oversee buying, planning, and allocation to each of the Nationals’ in-stadium retail locations
- Oversee the internal retail and authentics request process, ensuring our internal departments are able to request and receive merchandise and memorabilia in a timely manner.
- Oversee the planning of game-used memorabilia and autograph program throughout the 81 game season including monitoring signings with Nationals’ players, authentics memorabilia inventory, from procurement through fulfillment.
- Create a comprehensive authentics marketing strategy as well as fulfilling all point-of-sale orders throughout the season (online, auctions, requests, pre-orders, game day kiosk, etc).
- Assess product needs/supplies and manage order placement/fulfillment
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business or merchandise-related field; MBA strongly preferred
- Minimum of 10 years of merchandise and memorabilia management experience, preferably in sports or hospitality
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Must be available to work all 81 home games and other events which will include nights and weekends
- Experienced retail leader with a demonstrated record of producing growth through operational excellence
- Demonstrated ability to work with leaders of varied disciplines and to integrate their department into the overall success of the organization.
- Experienced working with senior level leadership.
- Operational mindset featuring diverse and high-quality retail operations.
- Knowledge of a broad range of global retail markets and business trends.
- Experienced in high-volume complex environments.
- High degree of professionalism, protecting the privacy and confidential nature of working with professional athletes.
- Ability to communicate across all levels senior executives, full time staff, part time (game-day) staff, and professional athletes.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Familiar with Tableau, Lookr, SQL environments, and analytics
- Understands the shifting priorities and workload management of retail stores.
- Customer centric mindset, both internal and external
- Able to overcome adversity and deal with ambiguity.
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Knowledge and understanding of baseball
- Interest in sports marketing, entertainment, and baseball as a career preferred
- Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
How did you hear about this job?