Assistant Field Manager - Washington Nationals (WASHINGTON · DC)
Reporting to the Director of Field Operations, the Assistant Field Manager is responsible for supporting the overall upkeep and maintenance practices for the playing field and surrounding landscape areas. This position leads the part-time employees as well as interns assigned to the Grounds Department. The Assistant Field Manager is responsible for supporting the effort to provide a high quality field that complies with the specifications and safety standards set forth by Major League Baseball (MLB), the Washington Nationals, and the Director of Field Operations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in recruiting, training, and leading of seasonal part-time employees as well as candidates for our internship program.
- Document expenses and provide necessary financial tracking information to support the management of the assigned operating budget.
- Maintain a current and accurate record book of all pesticide and fertilizer applications.
- Assist and direct all day-to-day activities that are required of maintaining a field at a professional level. This will include, but is not limited to: advanced turf management, accurate pesticide and fertilizer applications, all aspects of managing infield clay/pitching mounds/homeplate areas, along with the warning track.
- Assist in field preparation for all baseball-related activities and manage all field requests from the players and coaching staffs of the Nationals and visiting teams’.
- Assist and lead all game day and non-game day field activities. This will include, but is not limited to: field preparations for MLB games, concerts, corporate sponsorship events, community relations outreach programs, and all other non-baseball scheduled events.
- Responsible for assisting with maintenance of all equipment in order to extend its useful life and appearance.
- In the absence of the Director of Field Operations, this position may be trusted to perform all field activities, lead all staff, and effectively communicate with front office employees, coaches, and players.
- This position is not exempt from any other duty that is required to fulfill the expectations and overall operations of the Field Management Department.
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Turf Management or related field of study.
- Experience and knowledge of essential turf grass cultural practices such as mowing, aerification, topdressing, sodding, seeding, irrigation, and fertility applications.
- Experience and knowledge of basic irrigation repairs and general use.
- Experience and knowledge of small engine maintenance.
- Experience in managing sports turf at a professional venue/facility.
- Supervisory experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions:
- Possess a strong ability to problem solve.
- Ability to lift, carry, and transport up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure and adjust to rapidly changing work schedules and environmental conditions throughout the baseball season.
- Budget management skills are preferred but not required.
- Ability to obtain a District of Columbia issued Pesticide Applicators License and abide by all regulations.
- Must exhibit exceptional attention to detail.
- Exceptional written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Must be able to work days, nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values, so we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
- Field management employees perform most of their work outdoors in all kinds of weather.
- The job is not considered dangerous; however, pesticides can be harmful if not handled with caution.
- Employees working with tools and machines, can be injured if they use them carelessly.
- Worker will be subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme heat, extreme cold, noise, hazards, and atmospheric conditions (fumes, odor, dust, mists, gases or poor ventilation). While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances, run long distances, and climb up and down stairs. The employee is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or sit and must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Bachelors or better