Analyst, Baseball Research & Development with Washington Nationals in WASHINGTON · DC
Washington Nationals jobs
Sports Jobs in WASHINGTON · DC
Marketing: Database Marketing/Analytics
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
The Washington Nationals are seeking a data analyst to join their Baseball Research & Development team. The role will focus on using the tools of data science to derive insights from baseball datasets to support decision making related to player evaluation, player development, roster construction, and in-game strategy. The analyst will work on projects both independently and collaboratively with other baseball R&D analysts and developers. Candidates should be passionate about both baseball and data analysis.
The Washington Nationals are committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Build predictive models to answer baseball research questions and support organizational decision making.
- Collaborate on projects with other analysts in baseball R&D and other stakeholders in baseball operations.
- Perform analyses at the request of members of the baseball operations, player development, and advance scouting.
- Design and build informative data visualizations for use in automated reports or internal web applications.
- Write scripts for cleaning, processing, and summarizing datasets.
- Review public research in baseball, statistics, and machine learning.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in statistics, computer science, machine learning or a related field.
- Experience with analyzing datasets and training statistical models using R or Python.
- Experience working with SQL databases.
- Willing to relocate to Washington, DC.
- Authorized to work in the United States.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities necessary to perform essential functions
- Independent worker with close attention to detail.
- Creative and analytical thinker.
- Ability to write and communicate clearly and effectively.
- Enthusiasm for learning new skills related to programming, statistical modeling, data visualization, and using software tools.
- Demonstrated passion for baseball and working in baseball operations.
- Working knowledge of sabermetric concepts.
- Uphold Core Values: Excellence, Performance, and Accountability. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best guest experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values so that we can constantly move forward in the same direction – Together.
- Office: Working conditions are normal for an office environment. Work may require occasional weekend and/or evening work.
- Analysts are expected to attend at least half of the Nationals home games. Meals are provided to staff during the games.
How did you hear about this job?