ABOUT THE SMOKIES: The Tennessee Smokies are the proud Southern League Double-A Affiliate of the Chicago Cubs. The Smokies play in ‘America’s Friendliest Ballpark,’ Smokies Stadium, located 20 minutes outside of Knoxville. The Smokies were recognized by Baseball America, as the 2018 Bob Freitas Award winner in all of Double-A Affiliation. The Bob Freitas Award recognizes organizational excellence, and has been presented by Baseball America annually since 1999. The Tennessee Smokies are operated by Boyd Sports, LLC.
DESCRIPTION: The Performance Intern will be a talented and energetic performer, ready to lead the growing spectacle and show of the Tennessee Smokies. The ideal candidate will embrace the organization's community-first mindset and lead the team in fulfilling numerous appearance requests throughout East Tennessee, in addition to making a significant contribution to elevating the in-game experience at Smokies Stadium. This includes, and is not limited to, pre-game performances, ballpark experiences, in-game contests, and in-game recognitions. The intern assists with all aspects of our game day and non-game day productions. Candidate can expect to work in an office setting and travelling to outside events during the day, and be in costume throughout the ballpark during games. The internship will allow the individual to gain valuable experience with a professional organization for their future in the sports, entertainment and promotions industries. The Performance Intern will support the overall efforts to build the Tennessee Smokies brand and promote its work, programming and initiatives through hands-on experiences.
- Serve as lead mascot performer, “Homer” for all Smokies in-house and outside events
- Ability to interact with and entertain a crowd of all ages
- Assist in planning and executing promotional theme nights and social media posts
- Create and develop mascot’s personality and mannerisms
- Always be creative and flaunt an energetic personality, with the ability to motivate others
- Must be able to maintain and react to a flexible schedule
- Assist ‘Rally Crew’ Promotion Team in set-up and break down of on-field contests and promotions
- Work closely with the Director of Marketing & Entertainment for all pregame elements such as first pitch, National Anthem, Color Guard and more
- Participate in creating new and exciting routines and traditions that appeal to family values and coincide with the club’s marketing themes
- Assist with managing promotional storage areas and maintaining promotional assets
- Execute ‘Proof of Performance’ sponsorship elements, in conjunction with promotions staff
- Assist in the editing and production of various game entertainment features, such as player videos, highlight packages, etc.
- Provide support on Video Production location shoots
- Work various control room positions on game days as needed, such as replay operator, camera-person, video playback, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- Candidates must submit a reel or demo, exhibiting their previous experience in a mascot costume for live events, with corresponding resume and cover letter to be considered
- Must be comfortable to work in a fast paced, high pressure environment
- Keep a professional demeanor with the ability to interact with fans, staff members, players, coaches and front office executives
- Candidates must be creative, enthusiastic, willing to learn, and self-driven
- Demonstrate the ability to handle numerous projects simultaneously and meet deadlines
- Willingness to be trained, coached, and critiqued to perform “in character”
- Must be physically able to perform under extreme temperature conditions
- Willing and able to work all 70 Smokies home games, flexible hours including nights, weekends, and holidays
- Must have a valid driver's license and reliable transportation
- Previous experience as an animator, character, mascot or interactive entertainer, with skills in dancing, tumbling, gymnastics or acrobatics a plus
START DATE: On or near beginning of February 2020
END DATE: On or near the September 7th, 2020
SALARY: Internship - Monthly Stipend
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.