Reports to: General Manager
The Head Groundskeeper is responsible for ensuring that The Ballpark @ Jackson playing surface is always in prime playing condition. This position also ensures that the playing surface, and surrounding amenities, adhere to the guidelines set forth by Major and Minor League Baseball. Daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance is required and includes all grass and non-grass areas, including the bases, baseline areas, bullpens and pitching mounds.
- Maintain the playing surface to excellent standards for all events held at the ballpark.
- Perform all field maintenance including preparing, maintaining, and repairing all field, bullpen, mound, plate and warning track areas.
- Complete all turf grass initiatives including mowing, edging, sodding, aerating, top dressing, irrigation repairs, as well as assisting with all fertilizer and pest control applications, in accordance with federal, state and local laws.
- Assist with batting practice set-up and tear down.
- Work with management to create and adhere to budget.
- Prepare for inclement weather and coordinate tarp pulls with front office staff.
- Demonstrate the ability to safely operate all equipment and machinery.
- Maintains inventory of all grounds keeping equipment and supplies.
- Ability to troubleshoot mechanical problems with equipment.
- Trains part time staff & interns.
- Maintain a well-organized, clean and professional shop area.
- Service accounts and partners related to grounds keeping.
- Assist Operations department with off-season projects.
- Assist Operations department with maintenance of landscaping grounds outside the ballpark walls on stadium property.
- Work well and professionally with Jackson Generals staff, Arizona Diamondbacks staff, partners and fans.
- Be a team player and an active part of the Generals front office.
- 2 years of turf management experience. Baseball experience (dirt) is highly preferred. Degree in turf management or related field also preferred.
- Able to perform all physical tasks. Tasks include bending, squatting, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and standing for extended periods of time.
- Must be available to work days, nights, weekends, and some holidays.
- Must have a valid Driver's License with a driving record in good standing.
- Must have the ability to adapt in a work environment that is in constant change due to weather.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally.
- Microsoft Office skills.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.