The Kannapolis Cannon Ballers are a premier Class-A Minor League Baseball team and affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. The Cannon Ballers play at the award-winning Atrium Health Ballpark, opened in 2020 and located in the downtown area of the newly revitalized Kannapolis, North Carolina. The playing surface of the ballpark is Latitude 36, which is a form of Bermuda and overseeded with Perennial rye.
The Cannon Ballers are seeking an Assistant Groundskeeper that will help oversee the maintenance of the playing surface and ensure that it is up to professional playing standards. This position will work closely with team personnel such as field staff, players, and front office staff, reporting directly to the Head Groundskeeper.
Status: Seasonal / February - October
Hours: Ability to work all Cannon Ballers home games. Additional engagement at community and special events may arise.
- Assist in all aspects of maintaining the playing surface, as well as upkeep with batting tunnel and bullpens
- Help coordinate all field preparations on game days and non-game day events
- Daily care of the baseball grounds including mowing of playing surface, preventative maintenance to the grounds and equipment, and fertilizer application
- Aid in the creation of a fertilizer/pesticide program
- Maintenance of all field equipment and tools
- Manage game day and special event staff by creating schedules and ensuring a positive work environment
- Other team-related duties as directed by the General Manager and Head Groundskeeper
*Outline of Responsibilities could fluctuate and change at any course of time*
- Two or four-year degree in turfgrass related studies, or equivalent experience and education
- Knowledge in fertilizers, pesticides, and all chemicals used on turf grasses, as well as the ability to identify diseases and problems with turf grasses
- Working knowledge of the maintenance of sports fields. Prior professional baseball field management experience preferred
- Candidate must be a professional, self-starter who will work as a team player and be able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Prolonged periods of standing, walking, stretching, bending, kneeling, and pulling
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time
- Ability to work outdoors and in a variety of weather conditions
The Kannapolis Cannon Ballers are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.