We’re looking for someone that understands that passion drives motivation; that strength comes from teamwork; and that having fun in the process is what keeps the fire burning. Are you someone that thrives in the intersection of having fun, exploring passion and working hard to get the job done? Someone who understands that the most amazing work happens when you are on the edge of chaos without actually falling in? Someone that is motivated by being a part of something great? Then join us in Tacoma.
For course credit only: Reporting to the Director of Media Relations and Baseball Information, you’ll learn the skills crucial to leading a media relations department in professional sports. An above-average writer, someone who follows baseball on an every-day basis and who is extremely detail-oriented is the right fit for this internship.
- Assist in compiling, editing and distributing daily game notes, stat packs, box scores and other press box materials to broadcast team and other media.
- Assist in overseeing the press box during home games and special events.
- Act as a liaison between the Tacoma Rainiers and the media; scheduling and monitoring player and coaching staff interviews.
- Assist in writing and editing stories and press releases, as well as other editorial items for team website and team publications.
- Assist in producing annual Tacoma Rainiers baseball card set.
- Update in-game Tacoma Rainiers social media with lineup and score updates, using Adobe-created graphics.
- Write Tacoma Rainiers game recaps for dissemination both online for fans and to local/baseball media.
- Learn how to update and add to Tacoma Rainiers website(s), with eventual coverage of occasional road games.
- Help oversee issues of scheduling game-day press box staff.
- Please note: this is not a broadcasting position
- Must be able to receive college credit for internship from an accredited university or college (this is a non-paid position).
- Significant interest in a career in media relations and/or sports information is essential; basic understanding of professional/Minor League Baseball is a must, a passionate baseball fan and follower is a huge plus.
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel, Adobe InDesign and Photoshop is a plus. Basic Adobe skills are a huge plus – there will be time to train the right candidate on social media graphics.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects at once.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours, nights, weekends and holidays during the spring and summer. In general, the internship will be around 40 hours per week.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.