Title: Head Groundskeeper
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Director of Operations
The Head Groundskeeper is responsible for repairing and maintaining the Werner Park playing surface and its surrounding components as a safe, first-class baseball and soccer field by performing daily turf, dirt and water management; game preparation and short and long-term maintenance planning. The Head Groundskeeper will also assist the Ballpark Operations department in the off-season.
- Provide training and support in all aspects of the position; this includes, but is not limited to onboarding, training, and managing assigned group of employees
- Manage and be accountable for budgeted payroll for employees under your direct supervision
- Lead field transformation from baseball to soccer and other special events
- Manage field maintenance which includes but not limited to seeding, mowing, edging, aeration, fertilizer application, top dressing application, watering, infield skin, baselines, home plate, pitcher’s mound, bullpens, warning track and lining.
- Manage the irrigation system including proper water management of the playing surface and outside landscape as impacted by changing weather conditions, periodic maintenance checks, repairing of leaking lines or valves, and winterization.
- Coordinate and execute tarp pulls
- Manage turf and landscaped areas in and outside the ballpark as needed
- Responsible for vehicle and equipment maintenance (gators, mowers, rollers, painters, graders)
- Assist Operations Department in-season and off-season as needed with duties that include, but are not limited to, HVAC, painting, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, preventative maintenance, and snow removal
- Other duties as assigned
Game Day Responsibilities:
- Perform all task involved in field preparation for Werner Park. This includes lifting, carrying and placements of items for setting up the field to include cages, screens mats, protective field covers, field lining, corner flags, nets, field boards, and other items.
- Ensure baseball and soccer fields maintain their integrity throughout the duration of the game
- Manage gameday employees
- Operational duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Associate’s degree, Bachelor’s Degree in Turf Management, Agronomy or related field preferred
- Prior management and leadership experience preferred
- At least two years of prior turf maintenance or grounds keeping experience preferred
- Nebraska Pesticide Applicators license required
- Ability to safely and properly tank mix fungicides/fertilizers and dispose of them in accordance with state, federal and OSHA regulations
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive for organizational business
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects
- Operate and maintain all equipment in a safe manner and keep in excellent working condition
- Good working knowledge of computer programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet and database programs
- Ability and willingness to work varied and long hours including nights, weekends and holidays
This job is performed in a ballpark and therefore there is possible exposure to extreme weather conditions. This individual will operate heavy machinery and power tools. There is also exposure to chemicals on a regular basis.
The above declarations are not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor are they intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job. This organization reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.