Reports to: Head Groundskeeper
The Assistant Groundskeeper will assist in the management, planning, and implementation of the agronomic program for AutoZone Park. This role will help oversee the daily maintenance of the playing surface, including supervision of multiple game-day grounds crew members, to ensure that it is up to professional standards. Additionally, the Assistant Groundskeeper will help train and develop all game-day grounds crew members and will play a key role in the planning and execution of all on-field events including; Memphis Redbirds baseball games, Memphis 901FC soccer matches, field conversions, and additional events such as the St. Jude marathon.
- General duties include, but are not limited to: mowing, fertilizing, maintaining and rebuilding pitching mounds and home plate areas, dragging and moisture management of infield skin, field marking, edging, aerating, topdressing, verticutting, replacing sod, and tarping
- Be involved with helping to develop/implement maintenance and fertility schedules
- Help to supervise and train seasonal grounds crew members
- Take an active role in the baseball/soccer field conversion process
- Facilitate additional on-field events such as the St. Jude Marathon, high school baseball games, and corporate outings
- Report field issues such as turf stress, disease, irrigation problems, etc.
- Communicate clearly and work well with fellow employees, coaches, players, and fans
- Manage staff and perform necessary duties in absence of Head Groundskeeper
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Degree in Turfgrass Management or related field is preferred
- 2+ years of experience working on highly maintained athletic surfaces, preferably warm-season turf
- Safely operate and perform maintenance on turf related equipment and machinery
- Must have high attention to detail and take pride in quality of work
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor at all times
- Attend Forklift certification class within 6 months of being hired
- Experience with soccer field maintenance and field layout is a plus
Working conditions and physical requirements:
- Flexibility to work extended hours including nights, weekends, and some holidays
- Must be able to engage in strenuous activity including lifting up to 75 lbs.
- Capable of working in variable weather conditions including extreme heat and rain showers
- Commensurate with experience
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with employer match program
- Paid time off
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.