JOB TITLE: Sous Chef
DEPARTMENT: Baseball Operations
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
JOB PURPOSE: The Baltimore Orioles are looking for a Sous Chef that can work alongside the Executive Chef to help with food preparation, training, and cleaning. In order to best provide the best service to the players and personnel we serve, the ideal candidate must have a high level of culinary knowledge, a high level of attention to detail and a calm approach to stressful work environments. We have two kitchens that require all staff to be open to multi-tasking and people who have excellent work ethic.
- The Sous Chef (with kitchen staff) prepare and serve three different buffet servings each day on game days for about 100 people.
- The Sous Chef prepares food in accordance with current applicable federal, state, and local standards, guidelines and regulations, in line with our established policies and procedures.
- To ensure that quality dining services are always provided, the Sous Chef will work closely with the Executive Chef in order to meet all serving needs.
- The Sous Chef assists in assuring proper receiving, storage, preparation, serving, sanitation, and cleaning procedures are followed.
- The Sous Chef must be detail-oriented, well-groomed, act professionally and must be a team player who works well with others.
- The Sous Chef must have understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures.
- The Sous Chef must be able to train new and existing kitchen staff on the preparation, arrangement and plating of dishes per the current menu. Cross-train kitchen staff on multiple stations.
- The Sous is encouraged to have imaginative cooking skills.
- The Sous Chef consistently embodies the characteristics necessary to drive the Orioles’ Purpose, Vision and Values.
- Proficient in English or Spanish
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Culinary Arts degree or certification or previous culinary experience at the Sous Chef level or equivalent.
- Must successfully complete an approved sanitation and safety course (ServSafe).
- Ability to follow time schedules for meal preparation and serving.
- Maintains a neat, clean, well-groomed appearance.
- Dependable, with experience working in facilities utilizing quantity food production methods.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Good client/customer service and organizational skills.
- Ability to handle emergency situations and providing solutions in an accurate and timely manner.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to work effectively with a team.
- Ability to work independently as needed to support the group effort.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Ability to track, record and replenish inventory as needed.
- Respond to other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to lift/carry a maximum of 50 pounds, push/pull a maximum of 50 pounds, stand, sit, bend and walk for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work around food and cleaning products.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. The duties listed do not represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
The Baltimore Orioles Are an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Baltimore Orioles to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law. All employment offers with the Baltimore Orioles are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit résumé and cover letter.