JOB TITLE: Scout, Southwest Region
DEPARTMENT: Domestic Scouting
JOB SUMMARY: This position will require applicant to identify and evaluate amateur prospects in the Southwest region of the United States in preparation for the First-Year Player Draft, in addition to other assigned scouting duties. This position will report through the Domestic Scouting department and work closely with all types of baseball operations personnel. Position will also require a heavy focus on Pro Scouting Coverage. Relocation to the greater Phoenix area will be required.
Primary duties to include, but not limited to, the following:
- Compose scouting reports on draft eligible players
- Perform and execute Pro Scouting coverage as assigned
- Build relationships with players and families of players
- Build & maintain relationships with programs/coaches in the region
- Assess player’s makeup through personal interviews
- Plan and organize workouts for organization to evaluate players
- Maintain area schedule and prioritize top prospects for crosscheckers
- Utilize video, scouting information, & technology to enhance decision making on players
- Collect video on draft eligible players and upload to video system
- Represent Orioles organization in a professional manner
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Ability to work long hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays, often in adverse outdoor conditions
- Ability to own and operate a vehicle and travel extensively
- Strong ability to self-motivate, self-organize, and attention to detail
- Exceptional communication skills
- High computer and internet proficiency
- Strong baseball knowledge
- At least 3 years’ experience from a variety of backgrounds, which can include: Scouting, Coaching, Education, Business, or other fields.
- Prior playing experience
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. The duties listed do not represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
The Baltimore Orioles Are an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Baltimore Orioles to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.