Player Education Facilitator - Dominican Republic - The Baltimore Orioles (Baltimore · MD)
The Baltimore Orioles jobs
Sports Jobs in Baltimore · MD
Administration/General Management: Teacher
JOB TITLE: Player Education Facilitator (Dominican Republic)
DEPARTMENT: Player Development
JOB SUMMARY:The Orioles are looking for an individual who will work closely with the Education Coordinator. They will be responsible for providing language instruction, as well as academic support for all educational programming, to both Minor League players and staff. In general, the role includes class and tutoring scheduling; creating student-centered lesson plans; monitoring students’ progress; and teaching. Other areas of responsibility can be assigned based on organizational needs and the candidate’s skills set.
This position is based at the Orioles Dominican Academy in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic.
Language and Education
- Facilitate English/Spanish classes to Latin American or American players, coaches, and staff.
- Implement appropriate instructional strategies
- Use a variety of instructional skills and assessment tools to ensure robust learning occurs.
- Be mindful of learning styles, academic background and needs.
- Create a caring and supportive classroom environment.
- Develop class resources, considering the different educational and cultural backgrounds of international baseball players.
- Teach students how to communicate information in a clear manner using standard English constructs.
- Deliver student-centered lessons that develop oral proficiency for success on and off the field.
- Planning and monitoring student progress
- Develop weekly lesson plans for all classes.
- Conduct placement tests, on-going (formative) and summative assessments to evaluate students’ performance and progression throughout the language program.
- Write progress reports for all language learners.
- Work closely with the Education Coordinator and Player Development staff to ensure programs run smoothly.
- Organize weekly schedules that include tutoring lessons, group classes, volunteerism, etc.
- Collaborate with the Education Coordinator and other associated parties in the pursuit of GED /High School equivalency programs for all players, coaches, and academy staff.
- Assist in the development of life skills as well as any other programming that is beneficial to their development as athletes.
- Educate players to fulfill the professional expectations of their position.
Basic Qualifications / Requirements
The individual in this position is expected to have:
- professional demeanor,
- excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills,
- the ability to effectively interact with individuals across various demographics and professional roles.
- growth mindset: willingness to learn and improve continuously.
- Flexibility to work in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Additionally, said individual should:
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrate ability to take initiative and work creatively.
- Have high level of attention to detail and ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related area, at least 5 years of experience teaching languages.
- Understanding of best practices in teaching, learning, and assessment.
- Teaching Certification. TEFL certification desired.
- Strong communication skills in English and Spanish, both written and spoken.
- Strong computer literacy. Ability to work with Microsoft Office, Google Apps, LMS, videoconferencing apps, different devices/operative systems (tablets, phones, laptops) and integrate them in their teaching practice.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. The duties listed do not represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
The Baltimore Orioles Are an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Baltimore Orioles to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
Vaccination against COVID-19 is a requirement of the position, subject to consideration of reasonable accommodations for documented medical or religious needs that do not pose an undue hardship.
Are you vaccinated against COVID-19?
Are you relocate to the Dominican Republic?
Are you fluent in Spanish?