Payroll Assistant Manager - The Baltimore Orioles (Baltimore · MD)
Reports To: Payroll Manager
Employment Type: Full-Time
Payroll Assistant Manager will work with payroll staff to manage the entire payroll function for a 1200+ person company with a mix of exempt, non-exempt, seasonal, and contracted staff. Responsible for multi-state payroll with complex taxation requirements. Responsible for overall payroll compliance.
- Manage entire payroll function with a variety of employee classifications (salaried, hourly, full-time, part-time, players in both Major and Minor league)
- Process player payroll for Major League and Minor League
- Ensure payroll correctly reflects processing of new hires, changes in base pay, variable pay, commissions, bonuses, transfers, promotions, terminations and changes in exemption and deductions.
- Ensure time and attendance is accurately entered, submitted and approved by managers in a timely manner meeting payroll deadlines.
- Partner with other departments to facilitate the accurate and timely processing of hourly employees including verifying the accuracy of overtime hours, paid time off and leaves of absence.
- Enter tax and direct deposit information; garnishments; support orders and other adjustments to pay as necessary.
- Review in detail the payroll preview to identify any errors before issuing payments.
- Create and distribute GL reports.
- Coach, train managers on time and attendance administration as necessary
- Reconcile all payroll accounts timely and accurately.
- Respond to employee questions concerning their pay details and W-2’s, research and resolve discrepancies.
- Manage state tax compliance and regulatory filings.
- Setup new states and local jurisdictions as needed.
- Review quarterly tax credit reports and submit.
- Maintain technical knowledge by attending courses, seminars, workshops to remain up to date on the latest federal, state, and local employment tax laws.
- Review and audit W-2’s and 1095C files for accuracy
- Assist with the annual audit.
- Produce scheduled and ad hoc reports pertaining to Payroll and Human Resources
- Enter new benefits enrollments/life events and ensure accuracy of deductions.
- Process HSA enrollments with third party vendor
- Oversee 401k changes and reports in ADP.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Five (5) plus years of payroll experience preferred.
- Multi-State payroll experience a must.
- Sports team experience preferred.
- Ability to:
- Troubleshoot issues.
- Build credibility and establish trust among coworkers and management.
- Maintain high level of confidentiality and professionalism and service to both internal and external stakeholders.
- Strategize and forecast future results using data and analytics.
- Build strong and collaborative relationships with staff and communicate effectively with multiple audiences (strong customer service skills)
- Work independently and as a team member.
- Prioritize and manage numerous projects simultaneously.
- Work in a fast-paced changing environment and as part of ONE TEAM
- Work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings if needed.
- Self-motivated, with ability to work with little direct supervision.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- General knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite - (Outlook, Word and Power Point) required
- Exceptional Excel skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Finance, Human Resources, or related field preferred, HR/Payroll Certifications preferred
Do you live in Baltimore? (Y/N)
How many years have you managed payroll?
Do you have baseball payroll experience? (Y/N)
Describe your experience in managing different types of payrolls that accommodate part-time, full-time, contracted, etc.
Describe your knowledge of multi-state taxation.
Describe your payroll management process as it pertains to ensuring time, attendance, pay schedules, reports and how other duties and timelines are met.