JOB TITLE: Education Coordinator
DEPARTMENT: Player Development
JOB SUMMARY: The Baltimore Orioles are seeking a full-time Education Coordinator for the 2020 Major League Baseball Championship season.
The Coordinator will be responsible for the implementation and supervision of the Orioles English as a Second Language and cultural education programs across all affiliates, especially those of the Gulf Coast League in Sarasota, Florida and the Dominican Summer League in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic.
Additional responsibilities can and will be assigned based on organizational needs and the qualifications of the candidate.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES & JOB DUTIES:
- Design and implement an organization-wide language and acculturation curriculum tailored to professional baseball players with a focus on the Orioles ideals and values.
- Research and create learning resources, and other educational materials utilized by all players, coaching staff and ESL instructors.
- Prepare interesting and interactive lesson plans and subject matter for all classroom instruction and activities
- Evaluate and monitor individual player progress and enforce participation
- Create schedules of classes throughout the year and ensure that locations and facilities are suitable for instruction.
- Develop a needs assessment for players, coaches and staff to be used in creating learning tools and resources.
- Collaborate with the front office and field staff to ensure all non-English speaking players receive effective English language instruction to maximize their potential on and off the field
- Oversee instructor’s performance and provide feedback and recommendations
- Assist in teaching English and Spanish language classes to all players, coaches, and staff
- Collaborate with instructors, Major League Baseball, and other associated parties in the pursuit of GED equivalency programs for all players, coaches, and staff
- Manage all volunteerism, tutoring, and other academic activities of the DR academy
- Tailor academic activities to all individuals, regardless of their learning style (auditory, visual, linguistic, or kinesthetic).
- Purchase and maintain the inventory of educational materials and resources needed
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, English, or related field.
- Previous teaching experience as a teacher in a classroom setting.
- English as a Second Language and/or teaching certification.
- Strong verbal and written skills in both English and Spanish.
- Experience working with individuals from differing cultural backgrounds and lifestyles.
- Knowledge and understanding of life skills programs and their implementation within diverse cultural, ethnic, and linguistic contexts.
- Must have a general knowledge of baseball.
- Availability to live in Sarasota, Florida on a year-round basis.
- Spanish fluency.
- Master’s Degree in Education, English, or related field.
- Strong interpersonal skills and passion for teaching.
- Ability to work irregular hours to meet the needs of the players and staff.
- Availability to travel to team’s affiliates in the U.S. and Dominican Republic as needed.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. The duties listed do not represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT:
The Baltimore Orioles Are an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of the Baltimore Orioles to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.