Assistant Manager, Field Operations - The Baltimore Orioles (Baltimore · MD)
- Assign and oversee seasonal employees job assignments including mowing, edging, irrigation repair, turf repair, infield maintenance, and mound repair
- Assist with pre and post-game responsibilities
- Oversees and schedules tarp crew.
- Assist with ordering and tracking of materials
- Executes and assists in overseeing the entire playing field maintenance program including fertilization, cultural practices and irrigation. The incumbent is charged with all related functions necessary to perform these duties in an exemplary manner.
- Assist in the recruitment, hiring, supervising, disciplinary actions of seasonal workers and interns
- Safely operate and instruct others in the operation of various grounds equipment such as mowers,
- carts, forklifts, skid loaders, sprayers, tractors, aerators, etc.
- Is a team player who is open to innovation and the organizational goals for the future of the club
- Assist with overseeing and managing events that occur on the playing field.
- Bachelors or Associates degree in turfgrass management, agriculture, or similar degree area.
- A minimum of two years’ experience maintaining a sand-based, high-performance baseball diamond or equivalent facility.
- Understanding and interpreting weather radars and map layers, as well as precipitation values in correlation to the playability of the playing surface.
- Knowledge of irrigation repairs and maintenance
- Strong background in identifying pests and diseases
- Have knowledge of fertilizers and pesticides and understand their application properties
- Can calibrate and operate a turf spray rig for liquid chemical applications.
- Can calibrate and operate a walk spreader for fertilizer applications.
- Experience handling and applying pesticides and fungicides.
- Can take and pass the State of Maryland pesticide and fertilizer applicator’s licenses within 6 months of hire.
- Have a thorough knowledge of applicable State & Federal pesticide regulations/laws.
- Have exceptional organizational abilities, detailed oriented, and the ability to work unsupervised.
- Experience scheduling and managing a staff of 3 or more individuals on a regular basis.
- Have a basic understanding of equipment maintenance principals including small engine repair and reel mower cylinder grinding.
- Willingness to work long hours and a variable schedule including weekends and holidays, especially during the baseball season.
- Must be physically capable of safely operating medium to heavy machinery including utility vehicles and lawn mowers, be able to lift 50 pounds unassisted, be able to work for extended periods of time in high heat and humidity, and have no restrictions to work with any plant materials, soils or pesticides/chemicals commonly used in landscaping operations.
- Turf management experience
- A minimum two years’ experience maintaining Kentucky Bluegrass in a high-end athletic field setting.
- Experience scheduling and managing a crew of three or more individuals on a regular basis.
- Emphasis on strong communication skills, computer software
- ·Ability to read blueprints
What is your experience with Turf Management, Agriculture or other similar fields?
What is your experience managing a sand-based field?
What is your experience in operating turf spray rigs, walk spreaders and general management of field maintenance?
Can you elaborate on your knowledge of reading weather maps and evaluating how it can affect the playing surface of a field?
What is your experience with identifying pests and diseases, and your management of pesticides and fungicides?
Are you familiar with the State of Maryland pesticide and fertilizer applicator license?
What is your understanding of basic equipment maintenance including small engine and reel repairs?
Can you describe your knowledge of the Camden Yards ballpark and turf?
Are you currently living in Baltimore, MD?
Are you vaccinated against COVID-19?