Analyst, Baseball Analytics - Baltimore Orioles (Baltimore · MD)
This position is responsible for creating and analyzing baseball datasets through the use of advanced statistical techniques, with the goal of building and maintaining interpretable predictive models and player valuation frameworks to aid in the decision-making of Baseball Operations executives.
- Identify, diagnose and resolve data quality issues.
- Work with end users to understand modeling needs.
- Design, analyze, test and implement interpretable predictive models using R or Python.
- Work with users and developers to create usable tools for the customers.
- Evaluate, recommend and integrate new data sources (internal and 3rd party external data sources).
- Complete ad-hoc reports or small studies as assigned throughout the year.
- Execute SQL database queries to filter, clean and prepare data from existing database.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in Statistics, Analytics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Computer Science, or equivalent.
- Deep passion for baseball and baseball analytics.
- Deep understanding of statistics and statistical models.
- Experience with SQL.
- Experience with R or Python and pragmatic mathematical modeling.
- In-depth understanding of statistical analyses, data mining techniques, and working with large datasets.
- Very strong written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with staff members of all levels.
- Master’s Degree in Statistics, Analytics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Computer Science, or equivalent.
- Ability to guide and mentor other staff members.
- Experience in the baseball industry.
Do you live in Baltimore, MD? If not, are you willing to relocate to Baltimore? (Y/N)
Suggest one upcoming free agent that you would recommend that the Orioles sign this off-season. Why would you target this player, and how much do you imagine it would cost to sign him? Please answer in 30 words or less, and please don’t spend more than a minute or two writing your response.
Please list any data- or tech-related programs, systems, or languages in which you are fluent, as well as any foreign languages you know. For each one, what is your comfort level on a scale of 1-10? No further explanation is necessary. 1 = very basic familiarity. 10 = completely fluent. Example: Excel (7), Spanish (6), Blast Motion (3), SQL (3)