The Kalamazoo Growlers and Battle Creek Bombers are offering an opportunity for current college level students looking to gain real world box office sales experience to position themselves for a career in the sports industry upon graduation.
About the Organizations:
The Kalamazoo Growlers are a 2014 Northwoods League expansion team beginning their fifth season of play in 2018. The Growlers continue the rich history of baseball in Kalamazoo, carrying on the tradition of the Kalamazoo Kodiaks and Kalamazoo Kings. Homer Stryker Field, a 2,543 seat park located in Kalamazoo’s Mayors Riverfront Park is the home field of the Growlers.
The Battle Creek Bombers return for their 12th season in the prestigious Northwoods League. The Bombers, 2011 Summer Collegiate World Series Champions, play in historic C.O. Brown Stadium, a 2,267 seat facility located in the heart of Battle Creek, Michigan.
The Northwoods League is a summer baseball league comprised of teams of the top college players from across North America. The Northwoods League has more teams, plays more games, and draws more fans than any Summer Collegiate Baseball League in North America. Each team is operated similar to a professional minor league team, providing players an opportunity to play under the same conditions using wooden bats, minor league specification baseballs, experiencing overnight road trips, and playing nightly before thousands of fans.
Start Date: On or near the start of summer (May 15th)
End Date: On or near the end of summer (August 15th)
Academic Qualifications: Declared major or minor in Sport Management or Professional Sales (Other majors will be considered including, but not limited to: Journalism, Marketing, and Business)
Description of Responsibilities:
· Box office sales interns will undergo extensive box office training including ticket system management, call scripts, and other sales trainings
· Game Day Operations – building customer relationships, over-delivering with customers
· Handling customer service and ticketing issues
· Attending/staffing additional outside events (community relations)
· Collecting and generating fan data
· Learn and be knowledgeable of all ticket options and stadium locations
· Taking ticket orders (in person and via phone), interacting with fans, problem solving, working box office and will call booth
· Performing other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
· Availability to work all games and events
· Must be a team player with strong leadership skills
· Must be enthusiastic with a desire to work hard and have a positive “can-do” attitude
· Previous internship or job in sales is a plus but not required
· Cash handling experience preferred
· Customer Service & Management experience preferred
· Ability to multi?task and handle responsibility
· Self? motivated and ability to take initiative
· Organized and timely
· Proficient in Microsoft Office and Google Sheets
· The ability to work extended hours upwards of 14 hours
Credit: College credit towards a major, minor or general elective required.
· Kalamazoo Growlers: Homer Stryker Field
· Battle Creek Bombers: C.O. Brown Stadium