Public Relations and Writing Internship with Madison Mallards Baseball Club in Madison · WI
Madison Mallards Baseball Club jobs
Sports Jobs in Madison · WI
The Madison Mallards are seeking an individual to assist in the team’s public relations for the summer. This individual will write preview, recap and feature stories about the Mallards team, update the Mallards website with new and exciting content, and maintain the Mallards daily and season game programs. When applying, please provide writing examples or a link to your portfolio.
- Write game previews and post-game recaps for every game, home and away
- Providing new content to MallardsBaseball.com, including writing unique feature stories and press releases
- Produce the Mallards game day program - The Quack Report
- Analyze team stats to determine highlights
- Assist local media outlets with interview requests, both television and print
- Score all home games using the league's scoring software
- Exemplary writing ability, preferred experience in sports writing
- Advanced knowledge of the game of baseball
- Experience scoring baseball is preferred but not required
- Training on League scoring software will be provided
- Ability to adapt on the fly in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to learn new software quickly
- Excellent writing, language and communication skills
- Adobe Suite, specifically InDesign and Photoshop, experience is a plus
- Ability to meet tight deadlines
About Big Top Sports and Entertainment:
Big Top Events is the largest and most successful summer collegiate baseball ownership group in the nation attracting more than 400,000 fans in 2019. BTB annually hires more than 70 interns for its Northwoods League franchises, the Green Bay Booyah, Madison Mallards, Kenosha Kingfish, and Wisconsin Rapids Rafters. Each team plays 36 home games from late May through August. Internships run from mid-May through the completion of the season, near the end of August. Every summer the interns work directly with the management staff. Interviews have begun and will continue until all positions are filled.
Currently 80% of Big Top Sports and Entertainment's full-time staff completed an internship or seasonal position with one of its four teams prior to their full-time employment. Former interns have gone on to work for the Carolina Panthers, Milwaukee Brewers, Arizona Diamondbacks, TREK Bicycles, and various minor league and summer collegiate league baseball teams.
All Interns must receive college credit for this internship OR this internship must qualify for a graduation requirement. All Interns will receive a $1,850 housing & travel stipend. There are educational and work components to this position. Some of the work components may include tasks such as hanging signs, preparing the ballpark prior to the season, deliveries and other miscellaneous outdoor work.
Besides game day duties, each intern will be responsible for helping prepare and maintain the ballpark prior to the start of the season as well as participating in offsite catering events. All interns will participate in a weekly sports management class that will be instructed by front office personnel or outside speakers that have gained success in the industry.
In addition to your specific area of focus, all interns will have the opportunity to work with the staff to gain experience in the marketing and ticket sales department. Sales tasks will include calling renewals and single game ticket buyers, creating surveys to gauge the fan experience, answering incoming phone calls, placing ticket orders, and delivering tickets to clients. Marketing tasks will include creating on field promotions and nightly promotions as well as brainstorming ideas for new sponsorship prospects.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
How did you hear about this job?
Link to portfolio/writing sample:
Will you receive college credit for this internship?