The Kalamazoo Growlers are offering an opportunity for current college level students looking to gain real world culinary and food & beverage experience to position themselves for a career in the sports industry upon graduation. A culinary position with the Kalamazoo Growlers provides an experience that can’t be found anywhere else in the area. This experience will allow you to gain and expand on knowledge in several aspects of the food industry including: quick service, banquet events, high volume catering, special media events, commissary preparation, inventory, product ordering, and much more!
About the Organization:
The Kalamazoo Growlers are a 2014 Northwoods League expansion team beginning their fifth season of play in 2018. The Growlers continue the rich history of baseball in Kalamazoo, carrying on the tradition of the Kalamazoo Kodiaks and Kalamazoo Kings. Homer Stryker Field, a 3,267 seat park located in Kalamazoo’s Mayors Riverfront Park is the home field of the Growlers.
The Northwoods League is a summer baseball league comprised of teams of the top college players from across North America. The Northwoods League has more teams, plays more games, and draws more fans than any Summer Collegiate Baseball League in North America. Each team is operated similar to a professional minor league team, providing players an opportunity to play under the same conditions using wooden bats, minor league specification baseballs, experiencing overnight road trips, and playing nightly before thousands of fans.
Start Date: May 1, 2018
End Date: August 31, 2018
Academic Qualifications: Declared major or minor in Culinary Arts or Food & Beverage Management, or a similar program.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all aspects for smoking BBQ meat including: brisket, pulled pork, ribs, and chicken wings
- Prep and cook food products in large quantities in an efficient and consistent manner for each concession area of Homer Stryker Field
- Maintain food safety and sanitation, including complying with all federal, state and local health codes
- Assist in improving food quality and consistency
- Operate food preparation equipment
- Deliver new ideas for recipes and products to the food management team
- Research ingredients, vendors, equipment, and restaurant and culinary concepts
- Assist with concessions location oversight
- Food & beverage inventory & tracking for assigned areas
- Assist with food & beverage orders
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Availability to work all 36 home games, events, and some non-game days (schedules TBD)
- Must be ServSafe Food Handler or ServSafe Manager certified or be able to obtain certification within 21 days of hire (provided by team)
- Must be ServSafe Allergens Michigan certified or be able to obtain certification within 21 days of hire (provided by team)
- Must be a team player with strong leadership skills
- Must be enthusiastic with a desire to work hard and have a positive “can‐do” attitude
- You understand and can manage recipe documentation
- Strong written and verbal communication, professional demeanor
- Able to manage heavy workload, prioritize well and meet deadlines
- Resourceful, flexible, and able to creatively solve problems
- Passionate about food, cooking, and current dining trends
- Food experience preferred
- The ability to work extended hours upwards of 14 hours and lift 50 lbs.
Credit: College credit towards a major, minor or general elective required
Compensation: $750.00 USD Stipend – Paid at the end of each month
- Kalamazoo Growlers: Homer Stryker Field, 251 Mills St. Kalamazoo, Michigan