Outlier Events is offering an opportunity for current college level students looking to gain real world Event experience to position themselves for a career in the sports/events industry upon graduation.
About the Organizations:
Outlier Events is a special events company, hosts unique and crazy events throughout the year in various cities and states. Currently, we operate in Michigan, Ohio, and Wisconsin, bringing our favorite festivals on the road, including the Taco and Tequila Festival, Mac and Cheese Festival, and Donut and Beer Festival.
Our mission is to make people happy, one crazy event at a time.
Outlier Events is under the same ownership as the Kalamazoo Growlers are a 2014 Northwoods League expansion team, 2022 Northwoods League Championship team, and have become one of the most premier sports and entertainment companies in the Nation, winning organization of the year in 2016, 2020 and 2022.
The Northwoods League is a summer baseball league comprised of teams of the top college players from across North America. The Northwoods League has more teams, plays more games, and draws more fans than any Summer Collegiate Baseball League in North America. Each team is operated similar to a professional minor league team, providing players an opportunity to play under the same conditions using wooden bats, minor league specification baseballs, experiencing overnight road trips, and playing nightly before thousands of fans.
On or near the start of March 1st (remote, joining us in person on or near May 13th, 2024)
End Date: On or near the end of the last event
*Open to remote work before and after summer, in-person May-August.
Academic Qualifications: Declared major or minor in Sport Management or Merchandise (Other majors will be considered including, but not limited to: Journalism, Marketing, Business, and Theatre)
About the position:
The Special Events Assistant Intern will be the right hand woman or man to our Outlier Events team during the 2024 season. A combination of event planning, marketing, and sales while also having a more hands-on experience when executing and improving plans for current and future events.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Assist in the the Outlier Events Team in planning, promoting, and execution of all events in 2024
- Provide general support to the Outlier Events team
- Work closely with the media team to generate content ideas for social media and festivals
- Assist with festival vendor recruitment and activation during festivals
- Work with nonprofits and volunteers leading up to and during events
- Assist in the content development for events, recruit vendors, create and coordinate the drafting/distribution of promotional materials, sell tickets
- Secure equipment and rentals as needed, set-up, tear-down, and help coordination of overall event execution
- Assist with venue, vendor, and attendee acknowledgement and post event follow-up
- Traveling to all events (long hours, weekend long travel to festivals)
Desired Skill and Qualifications:
- No previous sales or marketing experience needed
- Sales-focused mindset
- Full of energy
- Able to persevere
- Not afraid to hear “no”
- Excited to talk with both business owners/vendors and attendees
- Creativity in sales and marketing execution
- Willing to help with operations and entertainment
Other Tasks and activities to include, but are not limited to:
- Working concessions outlet as needed
- Participating in in festival entertainment
- Office & festival clean up / organization
- Attendee interaction & engagement
- Festival set up and tear down
- Food prep
- Opportunity to work Battle Creek / Kalamazoo Games
- Food delivery / pickup
- Merch modeling, sorting, displaying
- Create / participate in promotional videos
- Community gorilla marketing campaigns
Compensation: Monthly Stipend, Festival Day Meals, Uniform, other Fringe Benefits
Housing: Housing is not provided, intern is responsible for coordinating summer arrangements. There are an abundance of housing options in Kalamazoo during the summer.
Credit: College credit towards a major, minor or general elective available
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.