The Bismarck Larks are offering an internship opportunity for a current college student with a passion and interest in entertainment and mascot performance. Bismarck Larks internships provide students with immersive, hands-on-learning to help position them for a career in the sports, entertainment and event industry upon graduation.
Who We Are
The Bismarck Larks joined the Northwoods League (NWL) in 2017. The NWL is the largest organized baseball league in the world with 22 teams, drawing more fans than any league of its kind. The NWL provides top college players from North America and beyond a summer collegiate baseball experience. More than 300 Northwoods League players have advanced to Major League Baseball in the NWL’s 29-year history.
The Bismarck Larks became the first team in NWL history to win NWL Organization of the Year in back-to-back seasons (2017 & 2018). The Larks sold out 27 of 36 home games in 2017 (75%) and continued their success in 2018 selling out 30 of 36 home games with an average overall attendance of more than 68,000 fans.
In 2020, the Larks became the first sports team in the country to play safely with fans in the stands during the COVID-19 pandemic. In 2021, the Larks sold out 92% of every ticket and were named one of the top 30 employers in sports by Front Office Sports in the company of the Denver Broncos and Savannah Bananas.
In 2022, the Larks sold out 97.5% of every ticket and averaged 1,852 tickets out of 1,900 tickets available each game. In 2023, the Larks will host the NWL All-Star Game and will be installing a brand new Daktronics videoboard at the ballpark to enhance the fan experience.
Who We Are Looking For
The Bismarck Larks are looking for a mascot intern to join their team in Bismarck, North Dakota for the 2023 season. The mascot intern should be extremely outgoing as a personality in and out of character. The ideal candidate will be an energetic individual who thinks creatively, strives for excellence, happiness and inspires the same in others.
The Internship Position
As the mascot intern, you will eagerly perform as numerous team characters/mascots including but not limited to Clark the Lark, Merifeather Lewis, River the Rat and Ten Gallon Tom during games and outside team and community events.
The mascot intern will help plan and execute game day entertainment elements such as mascot skits, dances and on-field games while creating a fun, entertaining and memorable atmosphere for fans and the community. You’ll work closely with the sponsorship and entertainment team and other internal departments to assist with promotion, event and entertainment elements.
Start Date: May 8, 2023
End Date: August 18, 2023 (dependent on post season play)
Academic Qualifications: Applicants should be studying a subject in a relevant field. This may include but is not limited to Sport Management, Marketing, Mass Communication, Hospitality, Musical Theater, Theater Arts, Acting or Dance.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Perform as a team mascot at all 36 home games and outside community events during the duration of the internship including but not limited to youth camps, Mandan Rodeo Days, sponsored events, promotions, etc.
- Represent the Bismarck Larks brand in a professional and upbeat manner at all times, inside and outside the suit
- Read social cues to understand the level of engagement each fan may want
- Preserve the identity of the mascot and follow an established character playbook including mannerisms, body language, attitude, fan interaction and team representation at all times
- Assist with researching, creating and implementing mascot skits, dances, on-field games, music, theme night elements and other forms of mascot-related entertainment, crowd engagement and fan interactions
- Responsible for managing and maintaining all mascot equipment including props and costumes. Ensure that mascot supplies and mascot room are well organized and clean.
- Assist with the organization and execution of game night activities at each home game, as well as special game night promotions throughout the season
- Attend weekly entertainment meetings and provide new ideas each meeting, as set forth by the Entertainment Director
- Assist with game day timelines and entertainment elements for additional team mascots, umpires, players and on-field entertainment team
Game and Event Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all aspects of the guest service table including but not limited to: set-up, tear-down, inventory, guest relations, etc.
- Assist with the set-up of the Larks Family Fun Zone area every home game
- Assist with the organization and inventory of all game day entertainment and sponsor materials including but not limited to: programs, giveaway items, costumes, props, signage, etc.
- Serve as an in-game character/actor at all Larks games as part of the on-field entertainment team
- Assist with the execution of all on-field, mid-inning promotions and fan engagement activities
- Represent the team at various Larks and Funatix Events and participate in other outside, community events, mascot appearances and player appearances, as defined by the team
- Assist with Funatix Event sponsorship and event activations
- Promote a positive fan experience by interacting with our fans in all areas of the ballpark
General Team Responsibilities
Game and Team Event Availability: Expected to be available for all Bismarck Larks home games and team events, this includes weekends and holidays.
Funatix Event Availability: Expected to be available for all Funatix Events including but not limited to the Mandan Rodeo Days, company picnics, festivals, etc. Full event list will be provided. This includes weekends and holidays.
Game Day and Event Hours: Expected to be available from mid to late morning through the end of the game and/or event. Schedule will be decided by the direct supervisor on a homestand and event basis.
Non-Game Day/Event Hours: Expected to attend office hours of 9 AM-5 PM each weekday.
- Assist with distribution of team pocket schedules, posters and other marketing materials throughout the stadium and community
- Assist with ballpark set-up and tear-down before-the-season, after-the-season and during each homestand
- Assist with event set-up and tear-down at team events and Funatix Events
- Assist with Family Fun zone set-up and tear-down
- Maintain ballpark cleanliness including but not limited to: cleaning tables, chairs, Family Fun Zone area, etc.
- All other duties as assigned by Larks front office staff
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Prior experience as a mascot preferred
- Ability to work in outdoor weather conditions including extreme heat, cold and rain
- Availability to work all home games, team events and Funatix Events
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Extremely out-going, charismatic and personable
- Ability to display confidence in front of an audience and on camera
- Ability to perform well and maintain character while under stressors or other circumstances
- Ability to think creatively and outside-the-box
- Must be a team player with strong leadership and communication skills
- Must be enthusiastic with a desire to work hard and have a positive “can‐do” attitude
- Ability to multi‐task and handle responsibility
- Self‐ motivated and ability to take initiative
- Enthusiastic team player, shows enjoyment and interest in working collaboratively
- Uphold our core values: Best, Uplift, Nerve, Teamwork. These core values set the tone in everything we do, help us succeed on and off the field, make a difference in the community and provide the best experience in sports. It is important that the person in the position commits themselves to these core values.
- Uphold our service vision: Happy People Making People Happy. We want people who love what they do, who find joy in making others laugh or smile, who want to use fun and happiness to make a difference in the lives of coworkers, clients and fans.
Reports To: Entertainment Director
Stipend: This is an unpaid internship. Team will provide a $200 weekly stipend for living expenses such as housing, food and gas.
Housing: The Bismarck Larks will connect interns with a preferred property management company. Interns will be responsible for the cost of housing and utilities.
Credit: College credit towards a major, minor or general elective may be earned.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.