The Staten Island Yankees (Class “A” Short-Season, NY-Penn League, New York Yankees) are looking for a committed and knowledgeable professional to lead our Grounds staff in a full-time capacity. We previously posted a "Groundskeeper" position, but just learned that our current Groundskeeper is leaving and we are now looking for a Head Groundskeeper. This is a full-time, permanent job with competitive salary, vacation & personal time off, and the following benefits: health, dental, vision, life and 401k.
The Staten Island Yankees are six-time New York-Penn League Champions. Richmond County Bank Ballpark at St. George sits on the New York Bay and has breathtaking panoramic views of the Manhattan skyline. The ballpark is located next to the free Staten Island Ferry which connects Staten Island to Manhattan, just five miles away.
The Staten Island Yankees Head Groundskeeper position will to consistently improve and prepare our playing surface for all NY-Penn League games, Wagner College Baseball (spring and fall) and assist with extra events. We have added many extra events and will aim to bring more to Staten Island, NYC. (Winter Wonderland is scheduled for this winter holiday, and the MAAC Baseball Tournament was just added for 2018-2020.) Half the playing surface (infield) was re-sodded this spring, and we have plans for additional field renovations next year.
- Perform general baseball field maintenance which includes preparing, maintaining, and repairing all field, bullpen, mound, plate and warning track areas
- Perform turf grass management including: mowing, edging, sodding, aerating, topdressing, irrigation repairs, as well as assisting with fertilizer and pest control applications, in accordance with federal, state and local laws
- Perform moisture management on infield skin
- Have knowledge and ability to grow grass in the northeastern US climate
- Manage batting practice set-up and tear down, infield tarp deployment and removal, etc.
- Assist with setup and tear-down of all extra events, including applications of Porta-Floor.
- Hire and train part-time staff
- Assist with developing and maintaining budget for field supplies, maintenance and staffing
- Maintain cleanliness and organization in batting cage, dugouts, shop and break room areas
- Assist Operations Department with off-season ballpark projects and general duties
- Operate and maintain all equipment in a safe manner and keep in excellent working condition
- Participate in snow removal as needed
- College Degree in Turf Management or similar Educational Certificate
- At least two years (minimum) baseball field experience – in turf and dirt
- A strong ability to lead co-workers in a team environment is desired
- Ability to express ideas and convey information effectively, both orally and in writing
- Ability to effectively adapt to a work environment that is in constant change due to weather
- Able to perform the following physical tasks: bend, squat, kneel, twist, climb flights of stairs, walk on uneven ground, walk/run up and down ramps, walk and stand for extended periods of time
- Candidate must be able to perform physical tasks, with or without accommodation such as lifting and carrying up to 100 pounds.
- Candidate must have a valid Driver’s License with a driving record in good standing
- Hours vary according to the game and event schedule. Must be available to work days, nights, weekends and holidays.
- Microsoft Office skills