Position in the corporate structure: This is a full-time seasonal position that begins in March 2019 and concludes in October, 2019. The Assistant Groundskeeper will report directly to the Field Turf Manager.
Assistant Groundskeeper Duties:
1) Assist in the pre-season preparation of the playing surface at Classic Park, including mowing, fertilizing, aerifying and irrigation.
2) Assist with pre-season cleaning of the maintenance area, field level and any other areas of need.
3) Assist with the in-season cleaning of the maintenance area, ensuring a professional appearance at all times.
4) Assist with the preparation and maintenance of all equipment to ensure proper function during the season.
5) Assist with the set-up of pre-game on-field activities (batting practice, etc).
6) Assist with the preparation of the playing surface before each Captains game and, when needed, before other events that take place at Classic Park.
7) Assist with the proper maintenance of the field turf, infield skin areas and warning track throughout the season
Essential Job Functions:
The ideal candidate for this position must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he or she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation.
1) Willingness to take direction and learn.
2) Willingness to interact with the public and be a dynamic representative of the Captains front office staff.
3) Knowledge of baseball.
4) Minimum physical requirements are able to lift, carry and transport up to 50 pounds
5) Must be reliable, punctual, and courteous.
6) Must be available to work all Captains home games and select non-Captains game events at Classic Park, including evenings, weekends and holidays between March and early October.
7) Must possess superior organizational and time management skills.
8) Good listening skills and ability to work with brief instruction.
9) Must also be flexible and able to handle situations with a quick and professional response.
10) Must have reliable transportation.
11) A degree, or current education towards a degree in turf management is preferred.