AM830 KLAA Radio - Full Time Chief Engineer & Operations Manager - AM830 KLAA Radio (Anaheim · CA)
AM830 KLAA Radio jobs
Sports Jobs in Anaheim · CA
Technical Services: Technical/Engineering
*In order to be considered for this opportunity applicants, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, must then fully complete the application process on follow-up screen.*
AM830 KLAA is the flagship station for The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
AM830 KLAA is the flagship station for The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
The Chief Engineer/Operations Manager will oversee the day to day operations of the Engineering and Operations Departments and is responsible for the maintenance of all broadcast technology and equipment at the station and transmitter remote sites as well as the Operations staff and programming on the station. The position requires not only extensive experience in engineering and talk radio station operations, but also proven experience in the ability to communicate complex information to non-technical broadcast staff.
Engineering Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages all aspects of the Engineering Department
- Maintains all broadcast technology and equipment for the station and transmitter sites
- Responsible for providing timely/urgent response in resolving technical and operational problems including but not limited to on an off air situations, equipment and transmitter issues 24/7/365.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, install and repair broadcast technical plant, equipment and systems, including transmitters, related equipment, remote control, studio equipment, telephone, digital transmission of a multi-site facility as well as station equipment in station vehicles with little or no supervision
- Use Radio Frequency engineering knowledge to maintain and repair all RF technical equipment in studio and transmitter facilities, including digital AM transmitting equipment, AM directional antenna system, Studio to Transmitter Links and satellite uplinks/downlinks and microwave transmission systems
- Ensures station compliance with rules and regulations applicable to FCC, local, state, and federal, laws
- Implements new technologies and technical infrastructure for the station
- Manages engineering and technology capital projects to the established budgets
- Manages and coordinates fiber connectivity, production setups, audio routing and patching, audio equipment, on air systems and editing systems
- Installs, services and maintains station equipment and broadcast information technology systems
- Repairs and maintains station building infrastructures or works with vendors or Stadium Facilities Department as needed
- Arranges the maintenance of the station vehicle fleet
- Communicates with and coordinates equipment maintenance and training with vendors/contractors
- Use working knowledge of PC's, networking, routers, switches, operating systems, network security and Microsoft applications software such as Word, Excel, Outlook, Access Database and PowerPoint
- Use comprehensive knowledge of basic electronic theory for troubleshooting to the system and boards to the component level where applicable
- Implement new engineering projects as needed
- Support station & field operations, as necessary, especially during major studio & field efforts involving complex technical operations for Angels Baseball broadcasts, promotional remote broadcasts, including IP CODEC delivery platforms
- Be a forward thinking contributor to the station for the Engineering department. Anticipate and communicate future needs
- Responsible for the maintenance of all aspects of 38 acre AM transmitter site, towers and facility
- Document equipment and wiring systems, using software as well as manual drafting
- Maintain an accurate inventory of the equipment at the station, transmitter sites, and remote vehicles
- Attend Emergency Alert System committee meetings and follow local, state and national discussions about public warnings
- Work closely with programming, promotions and sales departments in a productive, communicative way, in order to help achieve their needs and goals
- Perform other duties as assigned or needed
Budgets and Capital
- Develop, prepare and implement operating and capital expense budgets and special projects.
- Obtain and verify quotes for projects and/or recurring service by outside vendors and contractors as needed.
- Recommend capital and expense purchases for Engineering Department to Management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of FCC rules and regulations
- PC skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office applications; IT & Network skills on broadcast related, IP based applications, networking, hardware maintenance and some programming
- Ability to work on both IP based broadcast equipment and legacy broadcast equipment
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Candidate must be highly motivated and passionate about the Radio Broadcast industry
- Ability to test faulty electronic equipment and circuits to locate defects and apply knowledge of electronic systems to diagnose causes of malfunction and affect repairs
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workload under deadlines in a fast-paced environment; can escalate appropriately
- Ability to read and Interpret technical documentation and schematic diagrams
- Associate Degree in Electronics, Communications, or equivalent combination of education and work-related experience preferred
- Minimum five years' experience with a radio broadcasting environment, prefer 5,000 watt or higher AM Directional experience
- Ability to provide clear and concise communication, both verbal and written
- Strong interpersonal, organizational skills, and willingness to assist others
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in all aspects of the position
- Ability to work extended hours, as needed i.e. weekend, evening and holidays
- Available for emergency response 24/7/365, as needed. Vacation/Sick relief is available
- Act as a responder for station disaster recovery
- Have valid state driver’s license, acceptable driving record. A background check is required
Operations Manager Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit, interview, select, hire, promote, discipline and discharge employees in the Production Department. Provide guidance and direction to staff, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Approve staff time sheets and maintain proper records for staff in payroll system.
- Keep members of the staff working together to accomplish tasks. Lead and motivate staff.
- Establish work schedules and assign work to staff members. Scheduling may be delegated to the Production Manager. Direct and coordinate activities of staff.
- Supervise and train employees, including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Find replacement staff for employees who call in sick 24/7.
- Oversee, coordinate, and support the execution of continuous broadcast schedules on a 24x7 basis.
- Implement programming directives from Senior Management.
- Monitor and review programming to ensure that schedules are met, guidelines are adhered to, and performances are of adequate quality.
- Schedule local and network programs, promotional material and public service announcements.
- Coordinate programming objectives to support the goals of Senior Management.
- Develop budgets for programming and broadcasting activities and monitor expenditures to ensure that they remain within budgetary limits.
- Participate in budget preparation and policy, procedures and goal setting for the radio station by estimating staffing needs, new technologies and evaluating current programs.
- Maintain Conflict/Clear schedules for each live sports team the station airs and maintain the Composite Live Sports Schedule. Update these schedules as needed.
- Provide information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Handle complaints, settle disputes, and resolve grievances and conflicts, or otherwise negotiating with others.
- Work effectively with a wide range of constituencies such as Senior Management, Staff, clients, listeners and the general public.
- Confer with other departmental heads to coordinate activities.
- Advise Angels network control and affiliate stations concerning changes to game schedules.
- Provide advice and assistance to senior management in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of modification to existing operations and procedures.
- Read or record commercial, public service and promotional announcements, or perform other on-air duties.
- Coordinate Remote Broadcasts and Station Appearances with Promotions Manager.
- Monitor network communications for advisories concerning daily program schedules, program content, special feeds, or program changes.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned or needed.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
- Must be able to stand and sit for extended periods of time
- Must be able to frequently reach
- Must be able to occasionally climb
- Must be able to frequently work outdoors in all weather conditions and work indoors in environmentally controlled conditions
- Must be able to lift, operate and work on equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Please note that any job offer is contingent upon your providing verification that you have been fully vaccinated (at least 14 days have passed since receiving final dose of vaccine) against COVID-19. Job offers will be withdrawn (regardless of whether you have already signed) if this condition is not satisfied. Unless and until this step has been completed, you should not resign your current employment, otherwise alter your employment status, or alter any personal circumstances in reliance on a conditional offer. LAA 1, LLC (AM830) is committed to providing equal opportunity, and does not discriminate on the basis of any characteristic protected by law. If there is a medical or religious reason you believe you cannot comply with this requirement, please discuss with Human Resources during your interview process.
The LAA 1, LLC (AM830) believe that diversity contributes to a more enriched collective perspective and a better decision-making process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.