Overview: Looking for a motivated accounting focused individual who is looking for the next step in their career. The individual will be an integral part of the management team, the staff accountant position is accountable for the A-Z accounting operations of the company, to include the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles and financial reporting standards. The position may be assigned other duties by the President such as game day and event management responsibilities.
- Maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the operations of the accounting department.
- Ensure that accounts payable are paid in a timely manner and that all reasonable discounts are taken on accounts payable.
- Run AR Aging report for analysis, track payments and ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly from ticket sales and sponsorship contracts.
- Record and prepare accounts receivable billing, invoicing, and statements monthly.
- Ensure that periodic bank reconciliations are completed.
- Ensure that required debt payments are made on a timely basis.
- Maintain the chart of accounts.
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system.
- Maintain a system of controls over accounting transactions.
- Oversee PO/ordering process for organization.
- Manage Sponsorship contracts and proper deferred revenues/expenses and accruals.
- Manage Cash Flow for the organization.
- Manage the production of the annual budget and forecasts.
- Issue timely and complete financial statements.
- Interpret new agreements/contracts for proper accounting treatment.
- Preparation of monthly roll forward schedules and account reconciliations.
- Prepare reconciliations of balance sheet accounts.
- Meet Monthly, quarterly and annual close deadlines.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
- Coordinate the preparation of the corporate annual report.
- Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations.
- Calculate and issue financial and operating metrics.
- Provide for a system of management cost reports.
- Provide financial analyses as needed, in particular for capital investments, pricing decisions, and contract negotiations.
- Create and maintain the Sponsorship and Ticket Sales Excel workbook for accurate weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reporting.
- Prepare fixed asset additions, maintain comparative analysis to capital budgets.
- Review of department operational expenses, record reclasses/accruals and prepare variance analysis.
- Prepare monthly sales commission statements.
- Create and maintain excel models for department analysis.
- Prepare and file electronically monthly sales tax report for corporation.
- Generate, distribute, and answer questions about monthly financial statements to dept.
- Manage Capital Improvement Fund tracking and invoicing.
- Respond to vendor/internal staff inquiries.
- Create miscellaneous invoices as requested.
- Prepare and input journal entries.
- Assist with external audits.
- Assist with various ad hoc projects.
- Coordinate the provision of information to external auditors for the annual audit.
- Be sure all financials are in compliance with league standards.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting.
- Skills in performing detailed statistical analysis of budget activities, and preparing clear and concise administrative and financial reports.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of accounting and budgeting principles and practices, statistical methodology, generally accepted accounting principles, and generally accepted auditing standards.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Competency with Quickbooks Pro and Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting.
- 4-8 years of comparable experience (industry or practice). Professional Sports, race track or stadium experience a plus.
- CPA/Audit Experience preferred, but not required.
- Must have strong Excel skills with interest and aptitude to work with large amounts of data.
- Must be technically proficient in accounting and computer systems. Ticketmaster and Archtics or any outsourced ticketing service software experience a plus.
- Strong communication skills.
- Able to work effectively under pressures of management deadlines.
- Well-developed problem-solving and analytical skills. Able to discern alternatives and make objective recommendations and understand how to effectively work with other business groups to accomplish goals.
- Must be Motivated and willing to work long, non-standard hours.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.