Sugar Land Skeeters PT Field Operations Crew Member - Sugar Land Skeeters (Sugar Land · TX)
Department: Field Operations
Reports to: Director, Field Operations
Please note, as a condition of employment, COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initiation of the process) is required prior to start date. Accommodations for medical or religious reasons will be considered.
Assist Field Operations staff in all aspects of maintaining a professional baseball playing surface for the Sugar Land Skeeters. This position is responsible for performing all game day field preparations that include but are not limited to; infield preparations, mound and home plate repairs, batting practice set-up and tear down, pre-game field preparation and post-game field repair. Involved in all aspects of turf maintenance including; mowing, edging, sod repair, top-dressing and aerification, site specific IPM and fertilization programs. Position may also include working other non-game day events.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Assist in the maintenance and repair of the playing field that includes, but is not limited to turf (mowing, edging, fertilizing, aerating, top-dressing, over-seeding, discovery/control of weeds, insects, and diseases) and dirt (infield skin, baselines, home plate, pitcher’s mound, bullpens, warning track) management.
- Assist in the preparation of the playing field for pre-game batting practice by setting up cage, screens, mats, and protective field covers.
- Assist in the preparation of the playing field for game use by grooming field, chalking base path foul lines, painting outfield foul lines, marking coaching boxes.
- Assist in the execution of infield tarp pulls.
- Working various other non-gameday events including baseball tournaments, concerts, and on field corporate events.
- Work with all game day staff and assist as needed with any on-field promotions.
- Work and represent the Skeeters organization in a professional manner
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience & Skills:
- Able to work long hours in various weather conditions
- Positive attitude with willingness to learn and work in a professional environment
- Enrollment in or completion of a turf management or related program
- Previous work experience in turf or related field a plus but not required
- Must reside within reasonable commuting distance of ballpark
- Strong attention to detail and promptness
- Demonstrate quick learner with ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
Position will work in an outdoor stadium environment.
- Ability to lift/move items weighing up to 75 lbs on an occasional basis.
- Ability to lift/move/carry items weighing up to 60 lbs on a regular basis.
- Ability to use/operate typical grounds keeping hand tools, implements, and power tools on a regular basis, for long periods of time.
- Ability to work in a hands-on position in all weather extremes for extended periods of time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee will be required to carry and move packages up to 75 lbs.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time position, and hours of work and days are based upon the baseball season schedule. Long hours and days are to be expected. Ability to work a flexible schedule, including; extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays are required.
Rare travel may be expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.