Minor League Strength and Conditioning Coach - Houston Astros (Houston · TX)
Department: Sports Medicine and Performance
Supervisor: Head of Strength and Conditioning
Classification: Full-Time (Exempt)
Please note, as a condition of employment, COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initiation of the process) is required prior to start date. Accommodations for medical or religious reasons will be considered.
The Houston Astros are seeking a Strength and Conditioning Coach to join the Sports Medicine & Performance Team. This position will work full-time in West Palm Beach, Florida during Spring Training and the FCL season. This individual must demonstrate high physical preparation acumen as well as strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team of practitioners.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Design and implement strength and conditioning programs using a science and data-led approach
- Establish and execute testing and exercise protocols pertaining to performance and rehabilitation
- Teach proper execution, techniques and safety for all lifts and movement drills
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with physical therapists, athletic trainers, coaches, and athletes
- Actively participate in continuing education and professional growth opportunities
- Organize and arrange team meals at the affiliate
- Must be flexible to work irregular hours, nights, and weekends with frequent travel
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science or related field
- Minimum two years of experience in a strength and conditioning-related role
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) from the NSCA
- CPR/AED certified
- Master’s degree in Exercise Science or related field preferred, but not required
- Fluency in Spanish preferred, but not required
- Experience coaching in a NCAA or professional team environment preferred, but not required
- Experience with objective diagnostic testing (i.e. force plates) preferred, but not required
- Strong interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
This position is expected to be located in West Palm Beach, FL during Spring Training and throughout the FCL season. This position will function both indoors and outdoors.
The position is regularly required to stand, sit, jump, run, walk, reach, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, and communicate with others. This position may require the ability to lift and carry up to 100lbs, the ability to stand for extended periods of time, as well as bending, reaching, and throwing. The vision requirement includes the ability to review written and electronic materials in both digital and physical format and visual acuity must be sufficient to facilitate instruction. The position requires the ability to transfer and move items for departmental needs. The position requires the ability to adjust to changing work hours and locations as needed considering the strong focus on external communications and relationships.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Travel is expected in this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.