Minor League Bullpen Catcher and Coaching Apprentice - Houston Astros (Houston · TX)
Department: Player Development
Supervisor: Manager, Player Development; Catching Coordinator; Team Manager
Classification: Full Time/Exempt (TEMP)
The Houston Astros seek a Bullpen Catcher & Coaching Apprentice to join the Player Development department. This position will support coaches during on-field instruction, aid in the implementation of player development initiatives, and function as bullpen catcher during games. This position could lead to different positions within the organization in the future. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Catch bullpens, throw batting practice, hit fungoes.
- Collaborate with field staff, coordinators, and front office to implement and help improve player development initiatives.
- Assist coaching staff with planning/execution of daily practice routines and other duties including defense, pitching, and hitting.
- Assist staff with the evaluation and coaching of fundamentals.
- Assist the staff and players with the implementation of systems and technologies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Interest in on-field coaching.
- Ability to catch bullpens of high-level pitchers, throw batting practice, and hit fungoes.
- Ability to understand and advocate for change due to new information and or tools in baseball.
- Strong computer skills and proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Professional or collegiate playing experience is a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
- Strength and conditioning education and experience is a plus.
- Must be able to travel with assigned minor league team.
The work will largely be performed at a sports venue (indoor or outdoor- hold/cold environment) that could be heavily crowded with high activity. This job operates both outside on a baseball field and in an office setting. At times the noise could become excessive.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to stand for long periods of time, walk long distances and/or climb up/down stairs; may be required to stoop, kneel, crouch, sit and/or move/lift up to 50lbs of equipment or supplies; use hands handle or feel objects, tools or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and focused vision. Medium strength is required.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time as well as bending, reaching, throwing, and swinging a bat.
- Visual acuity to distinguish pitches and facilitate instruction.
- Ability to work both indoors and outdoors.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, temporary position that will require the ability to work a flexible schedule, including; extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays.
This position requires travel throughout the entire season.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.