Major League Dietitian - Houston Astros (Houston · TX)
Department: Sports Medicine & Performance
Supervisor: Head Dietitian
Classification: Full-Time / Exempt
Please note, as a condition of employment, COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initiation of the process) is required prior to start date. Accommodations for medical or religious reasons will be considered.
The Houston Astros are currently seeking a Major League Dietitian in the Sports Medicine & Performance Department. Residing in Houston, TX, the person in this role will provide educational, coaching, administrative, and operational duties with respect to nutritional and dietitian services, to players and staff of the Houston Astros Major League Team. The focus of the role is performance enhancement, and this person will form a strong collaborative partnership with other members of the SM&P team, specifically the Head Dietitian, Major League Strength & Conditioning Coaches, and Major League Athletic Trainers. These collaborations will help drive the nutritional component of the SM&P vision within the Houston Astros. This Role will be specifically targeted towards the applied delivery of nutritional services to the Houston Astros (MLB) and 40-Man players likely situated in nearby Sugar Land, TX with the Astros Triple-A affiliate. This role requires developing applied strategies, operational and administrative tasks, and travel with the Major League Team during Spring Training and regular season road trips. This role report to the Head Dietitian and will be responsible for assisting the Head Dietitian with managing the Triple-A Dietitian Apprentice and clubhouse/kitchen staff.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with the Head Dietitian and members of the Sports Medicine & Performance team, on forming and executing the Nutrition vision and strategy
- Supervise, mentor, and educate the Triple-A Dietitian while overseeing the catering staff for the Major League Club
- Assess and analyze dietary practices, body composition, and energy balance of athletes
- Counsel athletes on optimal nutrition for exercise training and achieving and maintaining a level of body mass, body fat, and muscle mass that is consistent with good health and good performance
- Educate players in food selection and food preparation
- Oversee nutrition budget forecasting and tracking at the Major League and Triple-A levels
- Evaluate nutritional supplements, including herbal supplements, for legality, safety, quality, and efficacy as well as within MLB compliance; monitors use of appropriate supplementation in partnership with Strength and Conditioning staff
- Collaborate on research projects aimed at assessing nutritional interventions impact on performance
- Provide specific support with respect to food, menus, and recovery nutrition during MLB spring training
- Coordinate nutrition plans/menus/orders for domestic travel
- Travel as required with the Major League Team
- Be the specific point of contact to MLB representatives for communication as required
- Manage the dissemination of relevant communication from MLB regarding supplement and anti-doping updates to all staff and players
- Registered Dietitian
- CSSD certification (or ability to achieve within 12 months)
- Experience in sport
- Experience in leadership roles with a strategic approach and budget management
- Master’s level degree or higher
- Fluency in Spanish
- Experience conducting research
- Experience using applied sciences in the field of sports nutrition and dietetics
This job operates in an office, locker room and sometimes outside setting. This role will involve being on the individual’s feet for long periods of time
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This role routinely will be in an inside or outside type of environment for long periods of time. This role will require the individual to be physically moving for long periods of time. This role will require the individual to lift and carry up to 25 pounds throughout the day.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including; extended hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Required travel to West Palm Beach, FL for Spring Training along with Major League road trips during the regular season and potential playoff games.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.