International Scouting Apprentice - Houston Astros (Houston · TX)
Department: International Scouting
Reports to: Manager, International Scouting
The Houston Astros are seeking an International Scouting Apprentice for the 2024 season to assist with the department’s day-to-day responsibilities. The apprentice role provides an opportunity to learn more about the international market while expanding knowledge in baseball data management and player evaluation. The position will be based in Houston, TX.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Contribute to data management, organization, and integration into the organization’s international scouting system.
- Upload video from scouts to support the International Scouting department.
- Write scripts which support data collection, automation, and report generation.
- Assist in the creation and integration of new tools into existing international scouting processes.
- Collect data and perform ad hoc projects to support the International Scouting department.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge of database management and principles of coding.
- Strong attention to detail, with the capacity to independently diagnose problems and recommend creative solutions.
- Open and adept at communicating effectively with diverse individuals, including members of the front office and scouts.
- Demonstrated passion for baseball and intellectual curiosity.
- Ability to multi-task, stay organized, and be flexible in a fast-paced environment.
- A valid Driver’s license is required.
- Preexisting knowledge of/history with the international market is preferred.
- Spanish language proficiency is preferred.
- Experience with SQL and SQL databases is strongly preferred.
- R Studio/Shiny coding ability is a plus.
This job operates in a clerical, office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and focused vision.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including; extended hours, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Rare travel may be expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.