Dominican Academy Strength & Conditioning Coach - Houston Astros (Houston · TX)
Houston Astros jobs
Sports Jobs in Houston · TX
Player Operations: Team Administration/Operations
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
Department: Baseball Operations
Department: Baseball Operations
Supervisors: Head of S&C and Latin American S&C Coordinator
Status: Full-Time/ Exempt
The Houston Astros are looking to recruit a high-level strength and conditioning candidate for their Dominican Summer League. We seek a highly motivated candidate with extensive coaching skills and experience, who demonstrate they can be extremely adaptable to find solutions to daily performance problems. The candidate should have extensive coaching experience of working with varied levels of athlete and demonstrate the ability to perform well under pressure. The candidate will work as part of a motivated strength & conditioning department who aspire to challenge and develop their athletes with a performance improvement mindset.
The candidate chosen for this position will assist with Minor League Spring Training in West Palm Beach, FL for the month of April and then travel to the Astros Academy outside of Santo Domingo to prepare for the Dominican Summer League season. Following the season, the person in this position will assist with a DR baseball instructional camp for the month of October and a DR strength camp for the month of November.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Utilize the organizations principles of physical development to maximize baseball performance of our players, using information as required to inform programming decisions
- In season programming and coaching of Acceleration and Speed, Strength/Power, and Metabolic Conditioning development
- Make daily decisions on suitable programming needs of players that maximizes continued physical development
- Perform weekly collection of sports science related data that is embedded within the organization’s physical development plans
- Work with baseball coaches to integrate training and manage training schedules daily/weekly as appropriate
- Collaborate with ATC using daily meetings to maximize player preparation and apply modifications as required to maximize availability for baseball activities
- Goal set appropriately and work alongside player development to find solutions to help players meet their performance goals
- Personal standards of coaching that drive players to challenge themselves and be better every day
- Off Season programming and communication with players with the aim of maximizing this period of physical development
- Weight room cleanliness and organization
- Adheres to high level of professionalism at all times
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Exercise Science or related field
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS) through the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
- CPR/First Aid certified
- Personal standards of coaching that drive players to be better every day
- Exceptional coaching and organizational skills
- Ability to coach and demonstrate key principles of acceleration and speed development
- An understanding of metabolic conditioning principles and associated adaptations
Position will work in an office and stadium environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
Work is high demand. Lifting 100 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying of objects. Time spent outdoors conducting physical activities is required.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Travel is expected in this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.