Development Coach - Houston Astros (Houston · TX)
Houston Astros jobs
Sports Jobs in Houston · TX
Player Operations: Team Administration/Operations
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
Department: Player Development
Department: Player Development
Supervisors: Fundamentals Coordinator and GCL Team Manager
The Houston Astros are currently seeking a Development Coach in the Player Development Department. Serving as a uniformed coach at our Florida Complex in West Palm Beach, FL, the Development Coach will aid in the implementation of player development initiatives while handling the conventional responsibilities of a 4th coach.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with field staff, rovers and front office to implement and help improve player development initiatives.
- Assist with the evaluation and coaching of fundamentals.
- Assist the field staff with conventional responsibilities of a 4th coach, such as throwing batting practice, hitting fungoes, and coaching first base.
- Assist the staff and players with the implementation of systems and technologies.
- Assist in the application of analytic tools provided by the front office.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements / Qualifications:
- Interest and understanding of player development and analytics.
- Ability to understand and advocate for changes due to new information and or tools in baseball.
- Ability to work and communicate well with people in a wide variety of roles including players, coaches and front office.
- Strong computer skills and proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Professional or collegiate playing experience is a plus.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
- Strength & Conditioning education and experience is a plus.
- Technical degree is a plus.
This job operates both outside in a baseball field and office setting. This role will involve being in the heat and on the individual’s feet for long periods of time. At times the noise could become excessive.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This role routinely will be in an inside or outside type of environment for long periods of time, of which includes bending, throwing, and swinging a bat. This role will require the individual to be physically moving for long periods of time. This role will require the individual to lift and carry up to 25 pounds throughout the day. The individual must be able to visual acuity to distinguish pitches and facilitate instruction.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including; extended hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Often travel to our minor league affiliates and other locations as required, to include, but not limited Round Rock, TX; Corpus Christi, TX; Fayetteville, NC; Quad Cities, IA; West Palm Beach, FL; and Troy, NY.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.