Data Engineer, Research & Development with Houston Astros in Houston · TX
Houston Astros jobs
Sports Jobs in Houston · TX
Player Operations: Team Administration/Operations
*In order to be considered for this role, after clicking "apply now" above and being redirected, you must fully complete the application process on the follow-up screen. *
Department: Baseball Operations
Department: Baseball Operations
Supervisor: Director, Research and Development
Classification: Full-time (Exempt)
The Houston Astros are seeking a Baseball Systems Data Engineer for the team’s Baseball Research and Development group. The Data Engineer will join a cross-functional, agile team of analysts and developers, and will build and maintain systems that promote the use and understanding of analytical baseball data and information throughout Baseball Operations. The Data Engineer will be responsible for collecting, processing, storing, and integrating many sources of baseball data, as well as designing and building new data solutions, both on-premises and in the cloud.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Create, maintain, and optimize ETL jobs for incoming data feeds
- Develop data quality assurance tools to ensure data integrity and system performance
- Design, implement, and maintain data mapping procedures
- Maintain and support internal database solutions
- Actively participate with software developers and architects in design reviews, code reviews, and other best practices
- Work closely with baseball analysts to design and implement data solutions
- Respond to and resolve technical problems and issues in a timely manner
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field is preferred
- Experience with SQL Server and T-SQL
- Experience with database maintenance and DevOps is preferred
- Experience building data solutions using Python, C#, or other languages is preferred, including using REST and other APIs to load data from external sources
- Experience with Microsoft Azure/Amazon Web Services/Google Cloud platform is preferred
- Experience with non-SQL data management solutions is preferred
- Experience working with baseball data (e.g., TrackMan, Statcast) is a plus
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
This job operates in an office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is a largely sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work:
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Rare travel may be expected in this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.