Ballpark of the Palm Beaches Manager, Accounting and Financial Reporting - Ballpark of the Palm Beaches (West Palm Beach · FL)
Supervisor: General Manager
Please note, as a condition of employment, COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initiation of the process) is required prior to start date. Accommodations for medical or religious reasons will be considered.
This position oversees and/or administers the day-to-day finance operations including accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting (including capital), financial planning as well as compliance. Duties include the financial management and financial planning for the spring training facility year-round operations, working with the Houston Astros and Washington Nationals regarding coordination of financial activities during spring training and assisting in the maximization of profit opportunities at the facility complex. The Manager must be comfortable exercising initiative and independent judgment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Along with the executive management team, ensures the financial and accounting systems and procedures are in place to support the year-round operation of the facility as a standalone enterprise.
- Ensures financial controls are established and followed for the enterprise including receipt of revenue, costs, budget management and actual expenditures.
- Protects assets by establishing, monitoring and enforcing internal controls.
- Aid in the implementation of new accounting policies, standards and guidelines.
- Oversees all financial and event accounting and ensures expenditures are consistently aligned with operational, capital or event budgets.
- Oversees all AP and AR functions for the operation, including the automated invoice management system.
- Prepares or coordinates preparation of balance sheet reconciliations and revenue schedules including but not limited to bank reconciliations, ticketing system reconciliations, parking audits, concession audits and other analysis required to ensure accurate recording of all financial activities.
- Prepares various recurring and non-recurring journal entries and accruals as needed.
- Prepares analysis of Sponsorship revenue contracts and reviews commission schedules.
- Maintains copies of all vendor and facility rental agreements, contracts and certificates of insurance for the facility.
- Maintains accounting of individual capital accounts for the Members of HW.
- Oversees the coordination and activities of independent auditors, ensuring audit findings and recommendations are addressed, as well as tax return preparers.
- Works with HW team to coordinate preparation of and maintenance the annual operating and capital budget for review and approval by the General Manager and the members of HW Spring Training Complex, LLC.
- Prepares monthly budget to actual reports for the General Manger and the members of the HW Spring Training Complex, LLC. Identifies benchmarks for measuring the financial and operating performance of the facility and each event.
- Prepares monthly cash flow analysis for presentation to MLB team representatives.
- Manages treasury function, monitors daily cash balances in various bank accounts and determines cash requirements needed.
- Prepares financial analysis for contract negotiations to assist with making financially sound event decisions.
- Prepares and files monthly / annual tax filings including but not limited to:
- Sales tax returns on ticket and other sales at the stadium
- Use tax returns for out of state purchases
- County personal property tax return
- Payroll tax returns
- Prepares daily event reporting during the Spring Training Season.
- Maintains records required by County relating to the ballpark facility and its assets.
- Assists Human Resources with specific onboarding tasks required for new employees.
Position is hands on and includes transaction level processing, reconciliations, preparation of financial statements and tax filings, and facility insurance administration. Individual specific tasks may be considered for outsourcing to independent bookkeeper or performed by part-time HW accounting staff if such resources are included in the operating budget.
Qualifications: Required Competencies & Skills:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in Accounting, Finance or closely related field and 7+ years progressively responsible experience in Finance/Accounting (CPA preferred).
- Solid accounting skills and a strong knowledge of GAAP
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data, identify trends and opportunities and effectively communicate interpretations across all levels.
- Ability to develop short- and long-term business plans, including budgets, forecasts and profitability analysis.
- Demonstrated management ability.
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Knowledge of baseball stadium facility operations.
- Flexible schedule may require work after normal business hours including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office suite of products and ability to learn and master new software programs.
Shared oversight of the Administrative Assistant to the General Manager and Directors. Possible oversight of temporary, part-time, or outsourced staff.
This job operates in an office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones and photocopiers. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This is a largely sedentary role. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close and focused vision.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
Ability to work a flexible schedule, including; extended hours, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Rare travel maybe expected in this role.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.