Assistant Director, Field Operations, The Ballpark of The Palm Beaches - Ballpark of the Palm Beaches (West Palm Beach · FL)
Department: Stadium Operations
Reports to: Director of Field Operations
Classification: Full-time/ Exempt
Please note, as a condition of employment, COVID-19 vaccination (at least the initiation of the process) is required prior to start date. Accommodations for medical or religious reasons will be considered.
The Ballpark of The Palm Beaches is the Houston Astros and Washington Nationals 160-acre Spring Training Complex located in West Palm Beach, Florida. In addition to the Stadium, the facility includes 12 full-size and 2 half-sized baseball fields, grass parking areas, a 12-acre lake, as well as the surrounding landscape areas. We are seeking a highly qualified, energetic, professional that will assist the Director of Field Operations in managing the facility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement planned fertility and pesticide applications that comply with Florida Department of Agriculture laws for application, handling, and storing of pesticides, under the instruction of the Director of Field Operations.
- Maintain accurate records of all pesticide and fertilizer applications for athletic fields and landscaped areas.
- Assist in proper execution of field preparations, including but not limited to: fertilization, pesticide applications, variety of cultural practices, infield dirt surface, warning track upkeep, as well as all pitching mounds and home plate areas.
- Assists with diagnosing and troubleshooting irrigation related problems.
- Recruit, train, and effectively supervise staff members.
- Effectively communicate with Director of Field Operations, stadium personnel, upper management, players and coaches in a professional manner.
- Ensure that all areas of play are properly prepared for daily workouts and scheduled games.
- Oversee field tarp placements and ensuring all fields are properly prepared for any adverse weather conditions.
- Prepare facilities for off-season use by Palm Beach County recreation and other outside groups.
- Assist with special event operation and setup.
- Maintain and operate a clean, safe working environment both on the fields and around the grounds shop areas.
- Properly maintain all field equipment to extend its useful life.
- Other duties related to facility maintenance as assigned by the Director of Field Operations.
- Minimum 3 years experience as a professional groundskeeper. MiLB or MLB experience preferred.
- Minimum 3 years experience in supervisory role.
- Experience managing all facets of baseball field maintenance; Including grading, raking, rolling, dragging, and moisture management of infield skin and mowing, watering, fertilizing, verticutting, grooming, brushing, and aerating of turf.
- Experience diagnosing and repairing irrigation system components.
- Experience communicating with players, coaches, and team staff.
- Experience with minor field construction/renovation projects.
- Ability to work safely for long hours during baseball season in a hands-on role.
- The ideal candidate will have completed his/her Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Turf Management or related field.
- State of Florida Certified Pesticide Applicator or have the ability to obtain certification within 6 months.
- Active member of the Sports Turf Managers Association (STMA).
Physical Requirements of the job:
- Ability to lift/move/carry items weighing up to 60 lbs on a regular basis.
- Ability to lift/move items weighing up to 75 lbs on an occasional basis.
- Ability to use/operate typical groundskeeping hand tools, implements, and power equipment on a regular basis for long periods of time.
- Ability to work in a hands-on position in all weather extremes for extended periods of time.
- Competitive Salary
- Health, Dental, and Life Insurance
- Paid Sick/Vacation leave
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.