Coordinator, Field Operations - Fayetteville Woodpeckers - Fayetteville Woodpeckers (Fayetteville · NC)
Department: Field Operations
Supervisor: Director, Field Operations
As the Coordinator, Field Operations, you will be an essential part of the grounds crew team and help build Fayetteville Woodpecker memories that last a lifetime. In this role, you will assist the Manager, Field Operations as it relates to the care, maintenance and improvement of the professional baseball playing surface for the Fayetteville Woodpeckers Baseball Club. This position will ensure that the playing surface is not only maintained to Major League playing standards, but recognized as best-in-class for the Minor League Baseball. The position will also oversee the activities of the grounds crew, as well as a variety of other tasks that take place to maintain the integrity of the entire playing surface.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that playing surface is always in optimal condition for professional baseball events including daily infield maintenance.
- Assist in the oversight of the mowing, fertilizing, treating and maintenance of both the grass areas of the ballpark as well as the infield areas.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state and local regulations with regards to the application of fertilizers, herbicides or pesticides.
- Ensure that the field is fully prepared and ready to use on game day – free from irregularities in all playing surfaces that may pose safety issues for the players.
- Assist in oversight of game day preparations of the field, ensuring appropriate precautions and actions are taken in the event of inclement weather conditions.
- Hire, train, and evaluate field operations staff.
- Proficient in the use and troubleshooting of mowers, tractors, irrigation systems, fertilizer and chemical applicators, and other equipment used in maintaining the field.
In the absence of the Director of Field Operations, this position shall be required to perform all field activities, supervise all staff, and effectively communicate will front office employees.
This description is intended to describe the type of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by the employee. Fayetteville Baseball, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The company is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants for employment.
Education and/or Experience:
- 2+ years as professional or college baseball head groundskeeper. The preferred candidate will have already proven themselves as a successful leader on the baseball field and in the sports field industry.
- History of successful sod installation work on short timeframes.
- High-school diploma/equivariant required, college degree preferred
- Proven experience working with baseball players, coaches, and baseball administrators on a day-to-day basis
- 2+ years related experience including a solid knowledge of turf maintenance supplies, materials and equipment and management of a baseball complex/stadium
- Knowledge in the practices and principles related to turf maintenance
- 1+ years supervisory experience in similar capacity
- Pesticide license in turf/ornamental landscaping; Turf 3L Pesticide license; Knowledge of IPM (Integrated Pest Management) preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization skills, strong work ethic, desire to excel, and willingness to learn
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to direct and lead an assigned seasonal grounds staff
Position will work in an office and stadium environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. The noise level is usually moderate but can be loud within the stadium environment.
- Ability to lift/move/carry items weighing up to 60 lbs on a regular basis.
- Ability to lift/move items weighing up to 75 lbs on an occasional basis.
- Ability to use/operate typical grounds keeping hand tools, implements, and power tools on a regular basis, for long periods of time.
- Ability to work in a hands-on position in all weather extremes for extended periods of time.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee will be required to carry and move packages up to 75 lbs.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position, and hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Due to the nature of this position, the position requires hours of work and days that include frequent nights, weekends and holiday. This includes attendance at all home baseball games and special events.
No travel is expected for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.