Job Title: Seasonal Community Relations & Fan Engagement Assistant
Reports To: Assistant General Manager
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE -
- To participate in grassroots marketing efforts which include traveling to various events aimed at interacting with fans, generating consumer leads, and representing the Tri-City ValleyCats.
- Coordinate community appearances with the street team, mascots, and players.
- Wear the mascot costume as needed when out in the community.
- Assume responsibility for a number of community initiatives, including Sunday Summer Reading, Community Heroes Starting Nine, Community Spotlight, and more.
- Regularly follow up with community leaders, nonprofit organizations, schools, special guests, sponsors, vendors and others both via email and by phone.
- Build database by getting fans to sign-up for giveaways.
- Document and report to management for each event including estimated number of attendees, amount and type of collateral distributed, etc.
- Identify sales opportunities and future events through networking and outreach within the local market.
- Help distribute 175,000 pocket schedules throughout the Capital Region.
- Assist in the approval and fulfillment of donation requests; maintain accurate records in database.
- Fulfill, package and ship donation requests.
- Work with Media Intern(s) to provide community engagement photos/graphics for website and social media.
- ‘Cats Crew Kids Club – Assist with the registration process, club mailings, event preparation and execution, prize distribution and maintain club records.
- Prepare newsletter emails and online activities for ‘Cats Crew members.
- Create activities and coloring pages for the Kids Corner in the Team Store.
- Respond to all fan correspondences and requests for fan packs.
FAN ENGAGEMENT & PROMOTIONS:
- Work with the Promotions Assistant and staff to design, develop and implement promotional activities designed to be fun, interactive and to help sell tickets.
- Set up & execute SouthPaw’s Birthday event by contacting and securing appearances by area mascots while developing pre-game and in-game promotions that entertain fans.
- Participate in gameday setup including decorating for theme nights, securing props, printing materials, distributing giveaway items, staffing check-ins, etc.
- Personally interact with ValleyCats fans inside and outside of the stadium either in costume or out of costume when needed.
- Lead ballpark tours; train other staff on tour procedures and talking points.
- Schedule events and staff for SouthPaw, the ValleyCats mascot in the community.
- Perform as various ValleyCats mascots during in-game promotions and at special events, as necessary.
- Assist in creating skits for video or in-game promotional entertainment.
- Screen incoming calls and respond as necessary.
- Makes sales calls (as requested).
- Complete other miscellaneous projects as instructed by management; may include tasks such as cutting flyers, laminating, data entry, etc.
- Must be willing to work extended hours.
- Undergraduate Students, Graduate Students or individuals seeking entry into the sports industry.
- Must be enthusiastic with a desire to learn through hands on experience.
- Desire to have FUN!
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Must be a team player with leadership skills.
- Ability to be at the stadium or events long hours including night and weekends.
- Self-motivated worker without needing constant direction.
- An organized and goal oriented individual.
- Knowledge of baseball.
- Must have basic computer skills-MS Office.
- Willingness to wear a mascot costume.
- Driver’s License.
Compensation and Duration of Employment: Hourly compensation at $14.20 per hour. You can expect 30-40 hours per week. If fulfilling an academic requirement, college credit may also be awarded. Position is from mid-May to early September.