Join one of the most dynamic brands in baseball and launch your career in the sports entertainment industry! The Richmond Flying Squirrels Community Relations Intern will have the opportunity to learn all aspects of the organization’s daily operations while engaging with the community through many of the team’s outreach initiatives. The ideal candidate should possess a versatile skill set and be energetic and passionate about contributing to the team’s outreach, fan engagement and non-profit work in the Richmond community. Individuals who have successfully completed the Flying Squirrels internship program have graduated to full-time positions in all professional sports leagues including MiLB, MLB, MLS, NFL, NBA and NASCAR as well as college athletics.
FUNN ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Assist Community Relations Manager with all education outreach, specifically the Go Nuts for Reading Program assemblies
- Coordinate pregame on-field activations such as group performances, National Anthems, Little League teams, Field of Dreams teams, first pitches, etc.
- Fulfill all donation requests made by outside organizations while maintaining an accurate database for end-of-year reporting purposes
- Coordinate in-game auctions, raffles, special events, etc.
- Assist in planning and implementing events for Flying Squirrels Charities
- Assist in maintaining relationships with partner non-profit and community/civic organizations
- Assist Community Relations Manager with daily operations of department as assigned
- Assist Mascot & Entertainment Manager with internal and external appearances/performances
- Assist Marketing Manager promoting the brand at tabling and community events as well as mascot appearances on weekends and/or during office hours
- Must be available full-time, in-person from January 16-September 27, 2024
- At least 1 year working in the sports entertainment industry or with a non-profit/civic organization preferred
- Energetic, outgoing personality with a positive attitude
- Strong communication skills and superior customer service
- Strong work ethic with the passion and desire to work in a community relations department and/or non-profit organization
- Willingness to work long hours including nights, weekends, and holidays and all 69 Flying Squirrels home games
- Willingness to don a mascot costume and assist in mascot handling
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.