The Somerset Patriots, the new Double-A Affiliate of the New York Yankees, are seeking experienced professionals, college students and high school students interested in working on the broadcast production side of professional sports.
Program Description: New for the 2021 season, the Somerset Patriots have upgraded their entire broadcast setup to meet the standards put forward by Major League Baseball and Minor League Baseball’s official streaming platform, MiLB.tv. This calls for the creation of four new positions needed to be filled: Technical Director, Replay Operator, Graphics Operator and Camera Operator(s).
The Patriots are looking for different tiers of employees to fill these positions. Those with professional experience will be given top priority, but the Patriots are also looking for college students and high school students that have an interest in learning more about sports broadcast production.
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
Time Frame/Work Schedule: (Early May 2021– Mid-September 2021): These are all gameday staffer positions that run through the course of the Somerset Patriots 2021 season. The season will run from Tuesday, May 4th through Sunday, September 19th. Candidates with professional experience will be expected to have availability throughout the entire season. College students and high school students are expected to have availability as their schedule allows throughout the spring and summer.
Employees will arrive at the ballpark 2.5 hours before the scheduled time of first pitch. This will allow for proper setup of the equipment, testing of the equipment, and provide employees an opportunity to eat before the game begins. Game times will vary, but have generally started at either 6:35 pm or 7:05 pm most nights and 1:05 pm or 5:05 pm on Sundays. The team will have six-game homestands (Tuesday-Sunday) alternating every other week throughout the season with a pair of exceptions.
Replay Operator / Graphics Operator
The Replay Operator and the Graphics Operator are two separate positions but will be interchangeable with the ideal candidates. The Replay Operator will work as the primary replay producer using a Tricaster 3P1 Replay, providing instant replay for both the MiLB.tv broadcast stream and the in-house scoreboard presentation. Additionally, the Replay Operator will be tasked with flagging important highlights throughout the game and producing them quickly for our Public Relations department to use for social media and post-game video highlights.
The Graphics Operator will primarily work on Daktronics LiveClips software to produce and maintain the graphics used on the MiLB.tv broadcast stream. This will include, but not limited to: the scoreboard ticker, lower thirds including stats for batters, pitcher graphics, specialized chyrons, defensive alignments, sponsor logos and more. Stats will be provided through Dak Stats software but will be needed to be organized, uploaded and designed properly in accordance with the Technical Director.
- Previous experience working in broadcast production
- Preferred experience working in sports production
- Strong knowledge of broadcast software & cameras
- Strong knowledge of baseball and how baseball broadcasts should be presented
- Preferred experience using Newtek broadcast software (Tricaster TC1, NC1 IO Studio Module, Tricaster TC1 Replay)
- Preferred experience working with Daktronics software and in-house production equipment (Daktronics LiveClips)
- Comfort operating cameras as needed (Sony HXR-NX5R and Sony SRG-x400 PTZ)
- Work alongside the Technical Director to produce the MiLB.tv broadcast stream
- Work as the Replay Operator or Graphics Operator as assigned, but have availability to work either position as needed
- Assist the in-house scoreboard operator with replays and graphics as needed
- Assist the Patriots Public Relations department with replays and graphics as needed
- Operate NewTek Tricaster 3P1 and Daktronics LiveClips
- Prepare graphics (lower thirds, chyrons, pitcher graphics, stats) prior to start of the game
- Communicate via internal intercom system with technical director as needed
- Maintain records of big plays / notable moments / highlights for archival purposes
- Archive replays, graphics and highlights as needed
- Availability to work most (if not all) games throughout the season
- Willingness to teach/mentor younger professionals/students interested in working in broadcast production
- Big baseball fan – understands the game, in-game situations, and the power of storytelling through a broadcast
- Ideal candidates will have at least one year of either professional, collegiate experience or highs school experience operating the needed broadcast software and running a production team.
- They need to be able to contribute to the organization both through running the broadcast and the many other facets of pre-production and assisting as needed elsewhere.
- Strong, diligent and detail-oriented production skills are heavily preferred, as are experience with post production.
- Additionally, candidates will need to have positive attitude, unwavering work ethic and an eagerness to contribute to a fun, fast-moving work atmosphere
Please Note: Candidates MUST live within commuting distance or have housing in the Bridgewater area for the entire season. Please be sure to attach a resume, cover letter and any additional elements that illustrate why you are the best candidate experience in your application. Also, please be sure to specify in your cover letter which of the listed positions to which you are applying (you can apply for all of the positions if you want). Applications should be addressed to the Patriots’ Director of Broadcasting / Media Relations, Marc Schwartz.
Candidate’s resumes will be reviewed once submitted to the site. Most interviews will take place from February through April and will be done either on site at TD Bank Ballpark in Bridgewater, NJ or virtually over Zoom. If you are contacted for an interview, you will be asked to provide some dates and times that will allow you to interview.