The Altoona Curve Sales Internship Program is a paid position. Interns will work approximately 40-80 hours a week during the season. The ideal candidate would be a sports management, business management or marketing major, who is sports-minded and can thrive in fast-paced, detail-oriented, and customer-focused setting. Ideal candidates show passion, energy, enthusiasm, and a willingness to learn. Previous work experience or course work in sales, sports management, customer service, marketing, and hospitality is a plus.
Sales Duties and Responsibilities
- Interns will be required to make outgoing sales calls; focusing on Flexbooks sales to potential customers (call lists will be provided).
- Assist the Box Office Manager in the following:
- Perform opening and closing procedures of the ticket office on both game days and non-game days.
- Selling individual tickets both in person and over the phone
- Printing and/or distributing tickets at the Will Call window
- Answer incoming phone calls and return voicemails
- Identify revenue opportunities within customers’ communities through communications, programs, and other activities as needed.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with pocket scheduling and game day ticket drops throughout Blair County and the surrounding area.
- Work with Front Office staff to execute on-field games, promotions, and performances.
- Participate in promotional activities aimed at generating public awareness.
- Interns will also assist with the following:
- Staff, player, and mascot appearances both game days and non-game days.
- Fulfillment of sponsorship elements at the ballpark and at the sponsor’s location.
- Execution of the team’s internal and external marketing plan along with execution of theme nights and promotions.
- Filling in at the front desk or customer services when needed.
- Inventory and stocking the team stores.
- All other duties as assigned by front office staff members
- Work directly with a chosen mentor(s) to learn other jobs within the front office.
- All paid interns can expect to work long hours, especially on game days.
- Report times on game days will typically be at 9:00 a.m. and shifts will end once all work is completed following the game.
- Interns will be scheduled from 9:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. on non-game weekdays.
- Must be able to work all Curve home games during the duration of internship, have reliable transportation to the Altoona area, and arrive at work promptly each day.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including Word and Excel
- Strong attention to detail and enthusiastic about working in a sports-related field
- Self-starter who is also comfortable with learning and collaborating in a team environment
- Desire/willingness to learn
- Excellent interpersonal skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.