Job Title: Game Day Promotions Assistant – “Goat Squad” Mascot Handler
Reports to: Promotions & Marketing Manager
Job Summary: The Hartford Yard Goats are the AA Minor League Baseball (MiLB) affiliate of the Colorado Rockies of Major League Baseball (MLB). During the months of April through September, the Yard Goats play 70 home games in Hartford, Connecticut at Dunkin’ Donuts Park. Dunkin’ Donuts Park was ranked first in Baseball Digest’s, “Best of the Ballparks, AA” contest during both the 2017 and 2018 seasons.
During the 2019 season, the Yard Goats set a franchise record by selling out 51 home games and attracting a total of more than 414,000 fans. On 70 days throughout the months of April through September, the Hartford Yard Goats compete at Dunkin’ Donuts Park hosting an average of 6000+ fans each game. Our Yard Goats Front Office team relies upon our Game Day team in order to provide the best possible experience for all who come through the gates during the season, including fans, guests, players, coaches, umpires, and sponsors. The Yard Goats are actively seeking driven, creative, high-energy young professionals to join our Game Day Promotions team this season.
In this position, individuals will gain hands-on experience within and across a diverse set of Game Day Promotions roles and functions, including theme night marketing and promotions, fan engagement, and on-field entertainment. This role is curated towards those who have an interest in being on the field and engaging with fans throughout Dunkin’ Donuts Park. Individuals in this position will be expected to run the “show” for approximately 70 home games.
This position is part-time, and hours will take place on home game days and on an as-needed basis aligning with the Yard Goats 2020 home game schedule. Individuals in this position can expect to work up to 30 hours per week at Dunkin’ Donuts Park depending on the home game schedule.
Exciting promotions, fun theme nights, and engaging guests and fans are the driving factors for the best-in-class entertainment experiences that our Hartford Yard Goats organization strives for. Do you have what it takes to be a GOAT?
Areas of accountability include, but are not limited to:
Primary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing exceptional customer service to clients and guests on behalf of the Yard Goats
- Assist with the transformation of stadium appearance to coincide with game night themes
- Expected to work, as assigned, for a portion of the 70 total home games, arriving about 2 hours before game time; Game Day shifts range from 3-6 hours
- Individual must be comfortable approaching fans, have strong communications skills, and a confident demeanor in order to help our team to create a fun and lively Game Day atmosphere
- Increase fan engagement by interacting directly with fans and guests with enthusiasm and excitement
- Serve as a fan liaison before, during, and after games and other relevant events
- Support and assist with non-game/non-event based stadium enhancement projects during the offseason
- Ensure that Mascots are ready and appropriately dressed for specific game themes nights and promotions
- Aid Mascots and guide them throughout games and other relevant events, including taking fan photos
- Support the maintenance of Mascot suits, including routine cleanings and other appearance standards
- Organize and maintain the promotions room, including making sure that Mascot suits and related resources are put in their proper places and organized appropriately
- Provide Mascot feedback in order to ensure that Mascots are satisfying fan, guest, and customer expectations
- Distribute relevant promotional materials, documentation, and collateral to guests, as needed
- Maintain a positive attitude including consistently greeting fans and guests with a smile
- Interact with guests, including parents and families seeking to interact with Mascots
- Retrieve and escort Mascots for the ceremonial home plate cleaning and other promotional activities
You are a good fit if:
- You would refer to yourself as a people person, enjoy smiling, laughing and interacting with new people
- You can adapt to challenging situations, last minute changes, and can react quickly and calmly under pressure
- You are a fast learner who enjoys the challenge of working in a fast-paced, intellectually stimulating work environment
- You are hardworking, motivated, and looking to expand outside of your comfort zone and willing to represent the Hartford Yard Goats mission and values
- You are able to maintain a flexible work schedule during the day, evenings and weekends throughout the season (March-September)
Need an internship? This could count.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.