We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct the maintenance and repair of the playing field that includes, but is not limited to turf grass management, sod cutting and installation, irrigation management, mowing, trimming, the use of blowers, fertilizing, aerating, top-dressing, over-seeding, discovery/control of weeds/insects, field markings and painting, infield, mound and home plate maintenance.
- Maintains inventory of fertilizers, herbicides, fungicides, pesticides, grass seed and other grounds related supplies.
- Complies with all Federal, state and local laws and regulations for the storage, use and disposal of trash, rubbish, waste and hazardous material [OSHA].
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of power equipment including reel and rotary mowers, tractors, utility vehicles, backpack blowers, trimmers, top-dressers, aerators.
- Operate and maintain all equipment in a safe manner and keep in excellent working condition
- Oversee the preparation of the playing field for practices; oversee the preparation of the playing field for game use by grooming and marking fields, chalking paths, painting lines, etc.
- Direct and oversee full time and part time staff
- Maintain a positive relationship with all internal employees and external vendors
- Develop a relationship with home and visiting managers to coordinate pre-game activities.
Skills and Educational Requirements
- A successful Head Groundskeeper candidate will have experience and expertise in the following:
- A high school diploma required; at least five (5) years of documented Sports Turf Management experience.
- Prior experience in the supervision of grounds of at least 50,000 Square Feet
- Skillful at Microsoft and Excel technologies
- Ability to operate grounds equipment safely
- Maintain accreditation in fertilization and pest control management
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff
- Ability to read chemical labels and material safety data sheets (MSDS).
- Must have chemical applicator license or ability to acquire within 90 days– Pesticide/herbicide commercial and non-commercial
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agronomy, Horticulture, Landscape Design, Turf Science/Management or related field.
- Experience working baseball athletic fields.