Carolina League Careers
Head Groundskeeper - Jersey Shore BlueClaws (Belmar · NJ)
Jersey Shore BlueClaws jobs
Sports Jobs in Belmar · NJ
Facility Operations/Event Staff: Grounds Crew/Turf Management
The Head Groundskeeper is responsible for repairing and maintaining the playing surface (baseball field) and its surrounding components at BlueClaws Stadium for the Jersey Shore BlueClaws, Affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies.
The Head Groundskeeper is responsible for the overall quality of playing surfaces and maintaining a safe environment by providing a first class playing field through various tasks throughout the year including but not limited to, turf, dirt, & water management of the playing surface, game preparation, short & long term maintenance planning of the playing surface. This position is responsible for the hiring, training and implementing our grounds crew. This team is built to assist the Head Groundskeeper post to keep the playing surfaces to the level set by the organization’s standards and that the field is operational for the next event. As a member of the stadium operations team, this position will also assist in the overall operation and maintenance of the entire facility.
This position will work collaboratively with the Assistant General Manager, Director of Events & Operations and Event & Operations Managers in creating a safe, clean, and functional facility that follows the Standards of Excellence and Standard Operating Procedures of the company set forth by the President and Assistant General Manager.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit and attract high performing personnel to our seasonal grounds crew to assist in the maintenance and upkeep of the playing surfaces.
- Create and execute grounds keeping program up to core standards for the BlueClaws Standard of Excellence and up to Major League Baseball’s PDL requirements.
- Train seasonal grounds crew on basic job functions and actively oversee their performance with a hands on coaching approach to ensure that the playing surfaces and ballpark are held to our specific standards.
- Actively manage inventory and ordering of equipment and supplies which relate to the basic job functions of the grounds crew and field maintenance.
- Prepare field for game day use, including but not limited to, painting lines and logos, rebuilding mounds and bullpens, watering and dragging infield dirt and warning tracks.
- Monitor weather patterns and assist Team President and Assistant General Manager in weather decisions and tarp situations.
- Create and execute fertilizer and pesticide applications to keep the playing surfaces vibrant and healthy
- Actively seeks and evaluate new methods to improve performance of grounds crew and the overall appearance and functionality of the playing surfaces.
- Interacts effectively and diplomatically with all stakeholders including staff, management, clients, and general public to maintain a customer friendly environment.
- Maintain excellent service while operating / exceeding under the budgetary guidelines for equipment, supplies, and labor set forth by the team President and AGM.
- Oversees and provides direction for the collection of competitive product and pricing information. Recommends pricing strategies based on the competitor’s analysis.
- Help foster the relationship between BlueClaws organization and major league affiliate through proper communication with field staff and BlueClaws upper management.
- Assist in field preparation and maintenance during non-BlueClaws events ranging from amateur games to concerts.
- Oversee and implement general lawn maintenance including but not limited to, raking, mowing, fertilizing, edging, sod work, pesticide applications
- Assist in ballpark preparation and opening for season through various tasks in coordination with the rest of the operations department
- Coordinate workout schedule with coaching staff and prepare batting practice setup and breakdowns in coordination with MLB coaching staff’s input
- Conduct irrigation repair as needed
- Assist with various stadium maintenance projects as needed
- Assist in the overall upkeep of the stadium
- Collaborates with other members of the BlueClaws executive team to formulate and implement policies as it applies to the facility.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Supervision Received or Exercised
- This position reports directly to the Assistant General Manager. Directly supervises the grounds crew.
Responsibilities for Budget / Assets
Position is responsible for meeting/exceeding established budget guidelines for field maintenance budgets including: labor, supplies, and equipment needed to expertly operate the field maintenance and upkeep of the playing surfaces. Position is responsible for maintaining equipment associated with these job functions.
V. Minimum Qualifications
Four year Turf Science Degree or Two Year Turfgrass Certificate. Minimum 2 years management and groundskeeper experience for a baseball facility or likeminded operation with a proven track record of accomplishments. Ability to interpret the business goals of the department and apply techniques to execute those goals. Specific experience desired in turfgrass management. Must possess strong written and oral communication skills with ability to handle high-volume workload, manage concurrent projects, meet deadlines and work as part of a team. Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise astute judgment. The ability to operate heavy equipment in a safe and efficient manner, knowledge of turf grass management practices, basic equipment troubleshooting skills, and ability to perform labor intensive tasks is a must. Requires excellent customer service orientation, strong leadership and people skills with ability to build and foster a team environment. Advanced analytical and problem solving skills are highly desirable. Position requires knowledge of Word and Excel. Must be able to work a flexible schedule including nights/ weekends and holidays.