About the Columbia Fireflies: The Columbia Fireflies are a part of Hardball Capital which also owns the Chattanooga Lookouts (AA Minnesota Twins Affiliate) and the Fort Wayne TinCaps (A San Diego Padres Affiliate.) The Fireflies began play in the spring of 2016 at Spirit Communications Park, in Columbia, South Carolina. The Fireflies are the class A, Kansas City Royals affiliate of the Carolina League whose season begins in April and concludes in September.
Program Description: The Fireflies internship position(s) will be open to college students and recent college graduates (internship requirements and hours may vary based on academic need.) Interns will be required to work all 70 home games and regular non-game day office hours. This includes nights, weekends, and holidays. Members of the Internship Program will be exposed to all facets of a Minor League Baseball organization and will gain practical, in-depth experience. Hardball Capital believes in hiring from within when the opportunity presents itself. Internships typically run January-September.
Finance/Baseball Operations Internship:
- Reports to Director of Accounting and Baseball Operations.
- Will assist in all matters related to the Accounting and Baseball Operations departments.
- Assist in the running of gameday money room operations as well as cash needs for non-game-day events.
- Keep an organized filing system for, contracts, invoices, accounts receivable, and accounts payable.
- Will handle logging and documenting of all incoming checks in an internal check register.
- Assist in monthly and year-end reconciliations.
- Assist both Home and Visiting clubhouse managers as needed to ensure clubhouse operations run smoothly.
- Manage & schedule staff of batboys.
- Assist in the monthly PDC reimbursement reconciliation.
- Assist in putting the tarp on the field and taking it off (this will happen during the day, at night or early morning depending on the situation).
- Special Events as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Please Note: It is not required but encouraged for interested individuals to live within commuting distance or have housing in the Columbia area beginning in January. Please be sure when applying to attach a cover letter, resume, two references, and answers to the questions below to be considered for an interview.
*All staff members and interns are to lead by example and set a high standard for game day employees (i.e. wearing proper work attire, great customer service, no foul language, etc.)*
*Housing is not provided*
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience in Quickbooks is a plus.
- Positive Attitude
- Ability to work in a team setting or individually (both will occur)
- Good Organizational Skills
- Good Time Management Skills
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.