USA Baseball is seeking a full-time Senior Director of Human Resources. The Senior Director of Human Resources will report directly to the Executive Director/CEO. This new position will be responsible for the development of a strategic staffing plan, recruiting/hiring/onboarding new hires – full-time and coordinators (interns), managing employee benefit programs and insuring the organization’s culture continues to foster a positive work environment.
This position is based at USA Baseball’s Executive Offices in Durham, North Carolina.
- Currently USA Baseball has approximately thirty-five (35) full-time employees at the organization’s Executive Offices and the USA Baseball Shop Fulfillment Center in Durham, North Carolina, and the USA Baseball National Training Complex in Cary, North Carolina
- Each year the organization hires approximately forty (40) coordinators to work across all departments
- The USA Baseball National Training Complex in Cary, North Carolina, opened in June 2007 and plans for being developed for a $6.5M+ second phase of capital construction at the complex. This phase will include the construction of the organization’s Executive Offices, high performance training space and team rooms (clubhouses). Groundbreaking scheduled for the spring 2020 with substantial construction completion in 2021.
The ideal candidate is a creative self-starter who desires to constantly learn and grow professionally. He or she develops new strategies to positively impact people and support USA Baseball’s mission. The Senior Director of Human Resources should be an excellent communicator, detail-oriented, able to handle multiple projects simultaneously, meet deadlines and uphold strict confidentiality.
- Writes, edits and posts job descriptions for all open full-time and coordinator positions
- Recruits candidates to fill vacant full-time and coordinator positions via online resources and attendance/speaking at university-sponsored career fairs and other baseball events (Major League Baseball Winter Meetings, etc.)
- Communicates with all applicants throughout their entire application process and manages the background check process for all candidates
- Coordinates management training for USA Baseball staff members in interview best practices, hiring, terminations, promotions, performance reviews and sexual harassment
- Prepares employee separation notices and related documentation, and conducts separation meetings/exit interviews.
- Manages the organization’s benefits plans, such as health and life insurance and 401K plan, in regular consultation with the CFO
- Develops USA Baseball onboarding materials and standard operating procedure manuals for all new hires and staff
- Plans and conducts new employee orientations
- Creates and maintains the human resources and coordinator budgets, and manages the bi-monthly payroll for coordinators
- Consults with legal counsel as appropriate, or as directed by the Executive Director/CEO, on personnel matters
- Annually reviews and makes recommendations to executive staff for the improvement of the organization's policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures organization's compliance
- Maintains responsibility for organization compliance with federal, state and local legislation pertaining to all personnel matters
- Communicates changes in the organization's personnel policies and procedures to the staff and ensures that proper compliance is followed
- Plans and executes the annual USA Baseball Intern Networking Night
- Plans and executes staff outings to foster the development of the office culture in the organization
Desired Skills & Experience:
- Minimum 3-5 years of human resources experience
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft PowerPoint,
- Basic knowledge of social media platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, among others
- Must have an excellent attitude and work well in a team setting
- Flexible and adaptable work schedule for changing organizational needs
- Mentor seasonal coordinators on working in sports and for a non-profit organization
- Passionate about baseball with an understanding of the amateur baseball landscape
- Ability to work in both a Mac and PC environment
- Proficiency in the budgeting process and profit and loss statements
A bachelor’s degree in is required.
- Salary commensurate on experience
- Benefits package includes medical and dental, 401(K) retirement plan and a company-issued cell phone
- A Skype account is strongly encouraged for all candidates as USA Baseball may conduct initial interviews via Skype
- A background check is required prior to employment
- For up-to-date information on USA Baseball, all candidates are encouraged to follow @USABaseball on Instagram and Twitter, and like USA Baseball on Facebook at Facebook.com/USABaseball
- USA Baseball will contact candidates for interviews directly by phone or email.
About USA Baseball:
USA Baseball is the National Governing Body for the sport of baseball in the United States and is a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the World Baseball Softball Confederation (WBSC). The organization selects and trains the Olympic, Pan Am, Premier 12 and World Baseball Classic teams (and all other USA Baseball Professional Teams); the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team; the USA Baseball 18U, 15U and 12U National Teams; and the USA Baseball Women’s National Team, all of which participate in various international competitions each year.
The organization is responsible for the proliferation and health of the sport, and leads a number of amateur initiatives including PLAYBALL and Pitch Smart. USA Baseball also presents the Golden Spikes Award annually to the top amateur baseball player in the country.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.