Data Quality & Reporting Intern – Prospect Development Pipeline with USA Baseball in Cary · NC
USA Baseball jobs
Sports Jobs in Cary · NC
Data Quality & Reporting Intern – Prospect Development Pipeline
*USA Baseball has two Data Quality and Reporting Intern – Prospect Development Pipeline positions available.
Start Date: March 15, 2021
End Date: August 13, 2021
*Full-time hours (40+ hours per week).
*This is a paid position.
All USA Baseball employees will operate under a remote work plan for the 2021 season. All employees will be expected to work remotely during business hours, Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. ET, unless otherwise scheduled by your supervisor or during USA Baseball sanctioned events. If assigned to work an event, employees will work on-site at an assigned facility. USA Baseball will implement strict COVID-19 guidelines for all events in 2021 in order to protect the long-term health and safety for its employees and participants.
Position Reports To:
- Senior Director, Technology (Russell Hartford)
- Director, Sport Performance (Drew Pomeroy)
Position Background: This Data Quality and Reporting Intern position will support the day-to-day operation of USA Baseball and Major League Baseball’s Prospect Development Pipeline (PDP). The PDP is a collaborative effort between USA Baseball and the Commissioner’s Office that establishes an official identification and player development pathway for amateur baseball players in the United States. Athletes participating in the PDP undergo unique baseball and athletic assessments using state of the art technology as a part of the most comprehensive evaluative experience in any sport.
This position will be responsible for organizing aggregate data from PDP evaluations and unifying various digital resources and assets to create personalized Player Reports sent to all participating athletes. The position will report to the Director, Sport Performance and Senior Director, Technology and will be supported by additional staff who will assist in the growth and facilitation of the program.
- Generate and distribute personalized Player Reports for each athlete who participates in the PDP during the 2021 season
- Query databases and applications to extract data from systems
- Create reports and dashboards to measure data error and accuracy
- Communicate with participating athletes and their families regarding scheduling, event logistics and post-event reporting
- Aggregate, organize and analyze athlete performance data collected at PDP events to support and enhance USA Baseball’s sport performance and analytics efforts
- Communicate with Major League Baseball staff regarding player registration, event logistics, and athlete performance data
- Serve as a resource for MLB Club Scouts for athlete performance data collected through the PDP
- Serve as a resource for USA Baseball Program Directors, Scouts and National Team Coaches for athlete performance data collected through the PDP
- Identify areas of future growth for the program, including use of emerging technologies, strategies for improved data management & analysis and collaboration with other USA Baseball initiatives
- Experience within baseball, and a passion for the sport and its different elements
- Interest in sports science, data analytics, player development and long-term player safety initiatives
- Strong organizational and analytical skills and the ability to organize, interpret and process many different data sets into a streamlined process
- Knowledge of coding languages such as R, SQL, or equivalents
- High level literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive Suite
- Positive attitude and ability work well in a fast paced, team setting
- Good time management and communication skills
- Ability to relocate to the Durham/Cary, North Carolina area for the duration of the internship
- Strong quantitative analysis & computing skills with a background in Computer Science, Statistics, or related background
- Ability to utilize existing and emerging technologies within the game to achieve team goals
- Previous experience with coding languages such as R,SQL, or other relevant software
- Previous experience with Rapsodo, Diamond Kinetics, Trackman, or other baseball operations software
- Candidates should possess or be working towards a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Communications, Technology or other relevant degree.
About USA Baseball:
USA Baseball is the National Governing Body for the sport of baseball in the United States and is a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) and the World Baseball Softball Confederation. The organization selects and trains the Olympic, Pan Am, Premier 12 and World Baseball Classic teams (and all other USA Baseball Professional Teams); the USA Baseball Collegiate National Team; the USA Baseball 18U, 15U and 12U National Teams; and the USA Baseball Women’s National Team, all of which participate in various international competitions each year.
The organization is responsible for the proliferation and health of the sport, and leads a number of amateur initiatives including PLAYBALL and Pitch Smart. USA Baseball also presents the Golden Spikes Award annually to the top amateur baseball player in the country.
USA Baseball is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of USA Baseball to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion or creed, sex, age, disability, citizenship status, marital status, genetic predisposition or carrier status, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by law.
How did you hear about this job?
What do you hope to learn and experience through this internship opportunity?
What date would you be available to start?