Software Developer, Baseball Systems - Tampa Bay Rays (St. Petersburg · FL · Open to Remote)
The Tampa Bay Rays are currently looking for a software developer to join our Baseball Operations department. This position will be responsible for the development, operation, and support of current and future internal baseball operations software. Our new programmer will have an opportunity to work closely with everyone in the baseball operations department ranging from front office personnel to scouts and coaches. They will handle all aspects of developing and debugging new and existing applications and rolling them out to our group of users. We are looking for individuals who are born problem solvers, who want to help others, and have a drive to innovate.
The Software Developer will report to the Team Lead of Software Development
- Design and develop new applications and features as required
- Collect requirements for new features from non-technical users and implement them accordingly
- Maintain existing software applications
- Identify and correct bugs quickly
- Document code and support procedures thoroughly
- Train users on new applications/features
- Collaborate with R&D analysts and Front Office personnel when developing new features
- Work with minimal supervision while still meeting deadlines
- Complete ad hoc queries and analysis in support of general Baseball Ops tasks
- Collect publicly available data using various applications
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Familiarity with relational database design and administration (Microsoft SQL Server and MySql preferred)
- Familiarity with Git version control software
- The following are not required, but experience with some of the additional technologies listed are very helpful.
- Experience developing Windows Forms applications
- An understanding of baseball
- An understanding of statistical analysis and sabermetrics
- Statistical modeling and quantitative analysis of a variety of data sources
In addition to your resume and cover letter, please describe your level of Ruby on Rails experience in 100 words or less.
Please describe your level of Ruby on Rails experience in 100 words or less.
I understand that if offered a role and by accepting a role with the Tampa Bay Rays or Rowdies, I will be participating in COVID-19 community risk mitigation practices including wearing masks in common areas and being vaccinated against the virus.
Where did you first learn about this posting?