Summer Groundskeeper - The Phillies (Philadelphia · PA)
The Phillies jobs
Sports Jobs in Philadelphia · PA
Facility Operations/Event Staff: Grounds Crew/Turf Management
Performs various responsibilities within the field operations department at Citizens Bank Park and the Phillies Youth Academy at FDR Park. This includes daily and ongoing field maintenance, basic irrigation system maintenance, basic equipment and shop maintenance, and inventory control.
- Perform daily and yearly maintenance of pitching mounds, home plate areas, and infield surfaces.
- Assist in daily set-up and break-down of all batting practice field equipment including protection screens, netting, and batting cages.
- Perform daily maintenance of all turfgrass areas, including mowing, edge build-up control, hand aeration, hand watering, spot topdressing, and spot overseeding.
- Operate various grounds maintenance equipment, including, but not limited to push and riding mowers, utility vehicles, tractors and implements, skid steer loaders, infield grooming units, string line trimmers, and backpack and handheld blowers.
- Assist in daily and ongoing maintenance of all ground’s equipment including washing and waxing, performing daily/weekly/monthly engine fluid checks and changes, adjustment of all equipment requiring adjustments (such as reel mowers), fueling, and basic record-keeping associated with these tasks.
- Assist with and/or perform with limited supervision various cultural practices related to on-going maintenance of all turfgrass areas including aeration, field sweeping, topdressing, sod removal, sod installation, and fertilization with automated and manually operated equipment.
- Assist in scouting the field for turfgrass disease infestation.
- Assist with irrigation system maintenance troubleshooting and repair including automated valve repair/replacement, irrigation head repair/replacement, pipe repair, and wiring repair.
- Assist in proper handling, loading, and cleaning of all pesticides and pesticide application equipment in a safe manner following all applicable Federal and State laws.
- Assist in maintaining an accurate accounting of all department inventory.
- Assist in maintaining updated SDS records.
- Assist with installation and removal of all field tarps.
- Help maintain and promote a positive and creative work atmosphere for all department employees.
- Perform basic trash pick-up and cleaning of all field and shop areas.
- All other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Exceptional organizational skills and the ability to work unsupervised.
- Strong communication skills, attention to detail, and a strong work ethic.
- Have a basic understanding of proper equipment maintenance.
- Must be able to work extended hours, weekends, and holidays, especially during the season.
- Current enrollment or recent graduate from a turfgrass science program or related field from an accredited 2 or 4-year collegiate institution.
- Previous experience working in Major League or Minor League baseball with similar responsibilities.
- Previous experience maintaining Kentucky Bluegrass in a high-end, sand-based athletic field setting.
- Experience troubleshooting and repairing automated irrigation systems and small engines.
- Must be physically capable of safely operating medium to heavy machinery, including, but not limited to, utility vehicles, skid steer loaders, tractor loaders, tractors, and lawnmowers.
- Must be able to stand and walk for prolonged periods of time, while periodically running to pull tarp.
- Must be able to lift, push and/or pull up to 50 pounds of weight frequently throughout the assigned workday.
- Ability to work in various positions, including, but not limited to, stooping, standing, bending over, sitting, kneeling, and squatting for extended periods.
- Ability to adapt to and work in various outdoor weather conditions, including, but not limited to, heat, wind, and humidity.
- Ability to work with plant materials, soils or pesticides/chemicals commonly used in landscaping operations.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital or veteran status, or any other protected class.